Finish (clear coat)question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AnthonyGC, Feb 5, 2014.

1. AnthonyGC

AnthonyGC

Hi everyone,

Just received a mid 2000's model Gibson SG Bass (in black) from Guitar Center's used department. I had never seen it before and once it arrived, it had several signatures written in gold sharpie marker on it. Upon removal (toothpaste method), there are some noticeably less glossy areas I'd like touched up (all on the front left horn down past the bridge). I don't want to pay for a full refinish (living on college student income), none of the paint is gone, only the gloss.

So my question is, is there any kind of home remedy or clear coat where I could make just a small part of the guitar glossy again. It doesn't have to be perfect, but just acceptable enough so that it doesn't look like I'm playing half of a faded model and half a glossy. Any information/opinions would be great.

Thanks everyone,
    Anthony
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Pick up some Virtuoso cleaner and polish. It will shine it back up pretty well. It sounds like the toothpaste scratched up the clear coat and took the shine out of it.
  3. AnthonyGC

AnthonyGC

Thanks, I'll be ordering shortly. Anyone else have any suggestions?
  4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Wish you'd have posted about this before you used the toothpaste to remove those signatures... dentaured alcohol would have taken them RIGHT off, without harming the finish.

But, try regular automotive white polishing compound and a soft rag. It's sold with the car waxes in a similar can. It will take a little elbow grease, but it ought to shine that area right back up.
  5. Register to disable this ad