1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Finish Ideas (Pics)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by buckeye43212, Nov 4, 2012.

1. buckeye43212

buckeye43212

Here is a link to my project thus far: http://bassproject43212.blogspot.com/

I am looking for different ideas on how I can finish this bass body. Here is one idea I have, I was going to take my heat gun and slightly darken the outer edges. I want a lighter finish in the middle and a dark cherry red on the sides. Has anyone done anything like this and would you be willing to share your thoughts?

I really banged the body up when I stripped the paint, so the finished product is going to have a somewhat used look to it, which I am okay with.

Like I said, I'm not 100% committed to my idea, if anyone has any creative ideas, I would be very grateful to hear your feedback! As a caveat, I am a complete novice at this, but I am willing to learn and take my time to get this right.
  2. Beej

Beej

That body should turn out fine, it just needs more sanding elbow grease. What you're looking to create is basically a burst finish; plenty of tutorials out there on how to do this at home or with spray bombs...
  3. buckeye43212

buckeye43212

Thanks for the response. I'll keep on sanding it down!