Fiona Apple cancels tour to care for her dying dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

2. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

I'd cancel a tour for that, no question.
  3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Absolutely. Those of us that have experienced the unconditional love of a great dog know that there is little we would not do for them. Mine was with me 24/7 for nearly 18 years and I am not embarrassed to say I miss him more than I can express. .
  4. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

I wouldnt
  5. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster Supporting Member

I've loved the pets I've owned, they have had connections with me no human being can ever have. That said, I don't think I'd ever cancel or postpone an obligation to thousands of people over a pet dying.

That's not a negative judgment against her. I'm just weighing in with where my own behavior would stand.
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Unmanageable Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not going to go as far as to say I would cancel a tour, because I don't have one, have never had one, and will never have one, so I don't know what I would do.

What I can say is, I'll be the last person to criticize her.
  7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I feel the same.
  8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

You're not already rich. If one of us was, we might be more likely to think without the constraints of what we are giving up. All I'm saying is that she has the freedom to make this decision, because money equals freedom.

And IMO, the dog is not already dead, it's dying, and I would grieve for my dog in the same way I would grieve for a family member.
  9. gkbass13

gkbass13

She's also an incredibly emotional person, and I can totally understand her rational for doing this.

I got to see her in October. Her band was OK, but she was one of the better individual performers I have ever seen live. Really, really powerful. Almost to the point where it seemed like she had to be constantly on edge and emotionally unstable to put that much heart into something. That is not a knock, but something rare I think in popular music.

I wish her the best, as it is surely a very difficult time if you have that strong of a bond with a pet/loved one.
  10. gkbass13

gkbass13

Also, what a beautifully written and powerful letter!

Time to listen to "extraordinary machine".
  11. hover

hover

Love Fiona. Disappointed, but ok with this...I understand. Nice letter.
  12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

people go see fiona apple on tour?
  13. hover

hover

Yes, and she's great.
  14. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Not trying to knock Fiona Apple, but if I called off work for that, I'd probably get fired, and my co-workers would call me stupid.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

My employer would understand and grant me a couple days off. None of my co-workers would call me stupid.

-Mike
  16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

It's a Pit Bull though... they're all evil and deserving of only euthanization anyway... /sarcasm
    (I had yet another person tell me that recently. I really hate that mentality..:( )

To some folks dogs are family and I totally understand where she's coming from. I love my doggies
  17. Illini10

Illini10

I saw Fiona in 1997. She was pretty great. My date didn't like her though so we left early. My great-grandma died when I was 20. She was 79. I didn't cry. A year later I had to put my dog that I'd had since I was 8 to sleep. I sobbed uncontrollably, my step-dad had to pick up off the ground and I showed up real late to class that day. I still miss my Griz, 14 years later.
  18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Definitely. My dog has saved my life on more than one occasion just by being my best friend. He has helped me through some serious depression brought on by becoming disabled and stuck at home.

This is Sonny. If anything happened to him, I'd cancel ANYTHING to be there for him.
    [​IMG]
  19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I can definitely empathize with the sorrow of a pet dying. When Katrina happened, a lot of people criticized those who were reluctant to go to higher ground because they'd have to leave their pets behind. I definitely can't fathom leaving my cat behind like that.

And I didn't realize that Fiona Apple was still out there doing her thing. She was really big towards the end of the 90s, but I really haven't heard hide nor hair of her recently.
  20. Simo98

Simo98

Can't say it's something I'd do. While I certainly appreciate my canine companions, I'd appreciate the people who are fans of my music more.

It's understandable, I know people who have been totally inconsolable when they've lost a pet, dogs in particular, but I'm not gonna lie, if one of my favourite artists cancelled a tour because their dog was sick or dying I'd certainly be disappointed.