1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

firearms as a hobby

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I loved shooting when I was young ...

Then after blasting thousands and thousands of rounds on many different weapons while in the army I drifted away from it .... It was more work than fun...

Recently bought a Ruger 10/22 for my kids to shoot and will soon take my .357 out to the range as well....

Today we shot about 600 rounds out of the 22, shot a bunch of 7.62x52 out of my friends mosin nagant ( bad ass ) and a bunch of 45 rounds thru his pistol ....

Good times.....

2. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Which Ruger 10/22? I was looking at those, and not sure of the differences.

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I believe it's just a standard 10/22 but with a mossy oak synthetic stock which has a lot of black in it , so in my eyes it looks really good ...

some of the models are nearly impossible to find, their website is pretty good ... In showing the differences of the current models ,,,

And the mods you can make are almost endless....

there pretty cheap brand new , around $230 for the one I purchased...

4. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

My family and I love shooting. I've got a .45, my mom has a .40 and a .38 special. My sister has a 20 ga. pump, and my dad's got a collection of firearms that would make many a gun enthusiast squeal like a kid in a candy store. I usually head up to their place in the country every few weeks and send a box or two of .45 down range, plus whatever Dad feels like bringing out.

Nothing more satisfying than hearing that "ping...ping...ping" of copper jacketed lead hit steel.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MadMan118

MadMan118

Im a shooting enthusiast too. I have a Springfield M1A1 a Remmington 700 in. 30-06 and my Glock 23. Being back home everyday now I'm getting to the range more which s nice.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Hopefully a new hobby in my future...

8. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

I really want one of those Remington 700s, in exactly the same caliber you've got. How's it shoot? What's the kick like?

9. Mr L

Mr L

I have a 30-06 and a 12 gauge, nothing better to relieve stress than to shoot things to oblivion.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I've got few guns that I haven't shot in years! A Remington pump action .22 that's dead accurate with iron sights (great for squirrels), a model 700 mountain rifle in 7x57 that's perfect for deer (I just wish that one came with iron sights), a .45 Super Redhawk, and a puny little .25.

I really need to get out to the range.

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Go .308 instead of the 30-06. It's cheaper and your ammo options are greater. Such as match grade, hunting and cheap mil-surp rounds for the range. Your options are more limited for 30-06.

12. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Well, I'm technically too young to own a gun, but I often go shooting. I usually use a Baretta 92, a 12 or 20 ga., I often shoot my brothers black powder .50 cal or .243 Win. One of my good friends lets me take out his Mosin Nagant often too, or his 7x57 Mauser. Shootings been a pastime of mine for a few yearsnow.

13. MadMan118

MadMan118

It's the straightest shooter I've got. Once its all sighted in its just excelent. The bolt us very smooth and durable. It's a 30-06 so its got a decent kick but you can put a nice cushy butt pad on it. If you're going to drop the cash on a 700 make sure you've got a good scope to match it up with

14. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Mosin Nagants can be had for around a $100 or a little more ...

Fun to shoot and will reach out there .

Shot some water bottles and standard targets today with oem iron sights and was surprised as it was pretty much at my zero as it was ... Hoot to shoot and 20 rounds for $9 or so isn't to bad ....

Couldn't see shooting hundreds of rounds at a time ,,,my shoulder would be black and blue

15. FREAKYSTLYEY

FREAKYSTLYEY Banned

I really used to be into shooting, been shooting since I was 4or 5 usually weekly. I owned a couple hmrs Glock xd and at-15.

But It just wasn't very fun, and it was expensive. And I'd rather be playing music so I sold some

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

I got my kids a 10/22 which they love to shoot. So much fun and you can't beat the cost of feeding the sucker. Lately they've been getting into the bigger surplus stuff, Nagants, Mausers Enfields though as we're working on more longer range shooting. My wife is even now able to handle shooting the Nagant :)
    The next time we go, we'll have an AR-15 and M1 Garand, cant wait! :)

17. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Technically, the M1 Garand is chambered for the 30-06 Springfield caliber. This is a fun rifle for the shooting range!

However, this is not the same cartridge (or pressure) as the modern 30-06 used by hunters in modern hunting rifles.

18. Mr L

Mr L

The 30-06 has a much higher capacity to kill at longer ranges making it ideal for bigger game at long ranges (400lb+ at 200+ yards)

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm a firm believer that every kid should know enough about firearms to handle them safely. I believe that way too many many people are injured by ignorance about firearms based on ignorance.

My daughters know how to handle revolvers, semi-auto handguns, rifles and shotguns. Both went through hunter safety courses. I feel much better knowing they have an adequate level of familiarity with firearms.

The 10/22 is a very nice Ruger .22, and easy for kids to use. Good firearm to introduce them to.

I don't shoot very often, but I certainly enjoy it. I don't enjoy the hyper-right-wing mentality that seems to pervade firearms stores.

20. MadMan118

MadMan118

My M1A1 is my usual range rifle as it takes the .308 I use the remmington for long distance and hunting. My glock and my girlfriends Sig Sauer see the most range time though.

21. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I really want one of those, great rifle, but the ammo cost is a little too rich for me. I like shooting cheap. :D

I have a Marlin Model 600, same as the 60 except is was a special they made from 89-92 or something, gold trigger and longer barrel like the older M60's. And I believe it holds 1 or 2 more rounds. Not crazy special, but it's a little nicer.

Eats Stingers all day long and is just a really classic and fun .22. I haven't taken it out in years, it needs a good cleaning before I ever shoot it again.