1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First attempt at Converting Bass to Fretless (lots of pictures)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sandman357, Mar 23, 2014.

1. sandman357

sandman357

I posted some of this over in the bass setup and repair section, but wanted to get some Luthier opinions. I am looking for setup advice once I put the neck back on though. Do I set it up using the same string to fret spacing as normal but since there are no frets use those measurements for spacing between string and fret-board?

So I am converting a 5 string Rogue I had laying around into a fretless masterpiece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what I have done so far:
    • I ground down a pair of small end nippers and used them to carefully pull out the frets. (They were not glued in, so I did not have to heat them up)
    • Adjusted the truss rod so the neck is flat
    • Made a radius block by taping sandpaper to the neck then used a block of green Styrofoam like they use for floral arrangements on it to shape the radius.
    • Carefully widened the fret slots with a miter saw making sure not to cut through the fret-board
    • Cut birch wood in strips, sanded each one to fit cleanly into fret slots, clued in with CA glue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Cut the strips to the profile of the neck with a flush cut saw
    • Trimmed the ends of the strips with the end nippers
    • Taped sandpaper into radius block and sanded neck smooth
    • used chalk to make hash makrs on neck and made sure they sanded off with just a few passes of radius block.

[​IMG]

• Wiped down neck with tack cloth and am applying coats of Tru-Oil. (rubbing down with 0000 steel wool between coats)

[​IMG]

That is where I am at. In an effort to limit the amount of filing I will have to do to the nut, I sanded the back of it down a bit to lower the entire nut. I will dry fit is as I do the setup on it and glue it in with regular old Elmer's School Glue after I have the setup done.

Thanks for looking. This is my first attempt at doing this so advice is welcome. If it works, I may attempt it on a backup 4 string I have.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Looks like a good job to me.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Me too. Better job than I could have done. Nice.

4. Carl_D

Carl_D Guest

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Five String

Five String Supporting Member