First attempt...Rebuilding a Les Paul Special II

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Junk420, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Junk420

Junk420

Hey there everyone,

In the future, I plan to build my own bass from scratch. I have a plan in my head and it looks fantastic.

But this is the present and I need some more experience before I tackle something like that.

So I have a beat up Epiphone Les Paul Special II that a friend gave to me for free. What better canvas to practice on?

I plan on filling the hole where the neck pick-up used to live. Replacing the bridge with an EMG ALX-HZ set, new bridge (still undecided), tuners and a full paint job. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/emg-alx-alexi-laiho-hz-humbucker-abq-set

I took a picture before tear down and I have posted a pictures below with some questions.

Here is the guitar before tear down. Ugly...

[​IMG]

My main concern is the neck. No idea when, but one of the previous owners decided to remove 3 frets at the base of the neck, chipping it in the process. Then paint over half of it with primer and write all over it. I got the majority of the paint off the first time I changed the strings. Is this neck worth saving? I was going to do a re-fret anyway. I figure sanding and new frets would make it like new anyway (In theory).

[​IMG]

Parts are being ordered over the next week.

First step is to get my hands on a piece of mahogany to fill in the hole from the neck pick up. Then I start shaving wood from the body and stripping off that awful finish.

2. crazydave911

crazydave911

Well, those missing frets tell you what the guy didn't play :meh:...............lol

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

My guess would be that he had a fret buzz on those frets, and he never played that high on the neck. So he just pried them out with a screwdriver or something. He didn't do a very good job, but I imagine it got the job done.