1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First Bass Amp and Setup

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by frrstbrwn, Dec 29, 2013.

1. frrstbrwn

frrstbrwn

Hey TalkBass,

I recently bought an SX jazz bass for $70 from one of my friends who never played it. It's not bad sounding as far as inexpensive basses go, but currently I'm just playing it through a 30 watt Peavey Vypyr electric guitar amp.

I'm primarily a guitarist so I don't really know what to look for when it comes to bass amps. I usually play through a 75 watt Peavey Vypyr when I play guitar, so I'm looking for something with relatively the same volume output. I don't want to spend more than $400. Also, is there anything else I should be aware of as far as setup goes? I'd appreciate some guidance here...

2. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

This is a great time in history to be a bass player with all the new ultra lightweight, compact, super powerful, and affordable bass gear on the market today.

In a nutshell, you're probably going to want at least 200 watts or more into a good sized cab - IE, 212, 410.

Lots of good manufactures to pick from - Gallien-Krueger, Ampeg, Carvin, Markbass, etc.

EDIT: With only a $400 budget you'll get more bang for your buck buying secondhand - checkout the TB for sale classified ads. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/

4. frrstbrwn

frrstbrwn

Thanks! I had never heard of Ampeg so this was helpful. Also I didn't even know there was a classified ads section– thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Good grief! Where do you live?? Even a guitar player should have heard of one of the oldest musical instrument amplifier manufacturers! :)

7. frrstbrwn

frrstbrwn

I guess I've been a bit lazy about knowing my gear haha. I really haven't looked at anything new for my electric guitar setup in about 4 or 5 years and I was fairly new to playing then. Acoustic guitar was a better fit for the local music scene so that's kind of the direction I went in!

8. Belgand

Belgand

I keep mentioning this all over the place here, but the Genz Benz Contour 500 combo is a solid option right now. 350 W @ 8 ohm, 500 @ 4 ohm; weighs about 50 lbs., comes in either a 2x10 or a 1x15, and right now you can buy them new for $390 shipped. The extension cabs are only another $225 shipped.

Basically a shop out in Texas (Andrew's Music) is charging less than half the regular price for them and since they're an authorized dealer you can get anyone else to price match it. Which I suggest doing because you'll usually get another 10% off and it will keep the deal alive for others to take advantage of.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/great-deal-genz-benz-contour-ctr500-115t-1030775/

At least two or three other TB members have gone for this in the past weeks along with myself and Genz Benz is generally well-respected around here, just search around if you're interested.