first bass build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kevinldn, Dec 12, 2013.

1. kevinldn

kevinldn

Alright, you talked me into it! I am going to try my hand at building a 6 string bass. Some of you have commented on my other thread about which woods to use. I am going to try to get pics up here to show you some of the stock that I will try to include on this build. This is going to take me a while to build as I have had to cut down my money tree so I could use it for this sixer. :D Really looking forward to learning a lot as I go! Any thoughts, advice, etc... is always appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  2. kevinldn

kevinldn

Thais is the rosewood and walnut that I will be using. I think I am going to resaw some maple and put a very thin layer in the body somewhere as well. I think that the maple will add a nice contrast to the dark woods.

Attached Files:

3. kevinldn

kevinldn

Sorry for the failed attempt at a pic of the Cuban mahogany. Here is a pic of the piece that I cut in half to make the six string bass. This, with the addition of the rosewood and walnut and maple should be a nice color combo.

Attached Files:

4. kevinldn

kevinldn

I don't know why I can't get any larger pics on this site. Any advice?
  5. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Upload them on a different site and copy and paste the urls using the picture button.
  6. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

How thick is the mahogany, by the way?
  7. kevinldn

kevinldn

between 13/16" and 7/8"

I got this stuff from a neighbor. The Cuban government sent it over from Cuba to be used on an elevator car for the UN. He had some left over pieces that he has been storing in his garage for the last 20ish years. This is truly some one of a kind wood and it is beautiful.
  8. kevinldn

kevinldn

Finally figured out how to get some better pics. Hope you enjoy!

This is the Cuban mahogany with a rough sketch of the body shape.

[​IMG]
  9. kevinldn

kevinldn

This is the rosewood that I would like to use for the top. It was sawed out of a 3x3 board that someone thought was a good idea to use as a shipping pallet block. planed down to just over 1/4" thick. I love the grain on these pieces. The small nail holes will be able to be avoided on the build as they just happen to miss on the body. :D

[​IMG]
  10. kevinldn

kevinldn

walnut to be used as part of the body too. I am not sure yet if it will be one of the laminate layers or the back of the guitar. I am leaning toward using it as a laminate piece and adding a very thin laminate of maple too.

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
  11. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

I always like walnut topped guitars. I wouldn't bury it where it won't be seen. The maple laminate will be a nice touch.
  12. kevinldn

kevinldn

just got done with a rough cut of the body. hope you like it. i have a lot of file and chisle work to do yet but that will all be done after the maple and walnut are laminated on to the body.

[​IMG]
  13. kevinldn

kevinldn

So, as i am sure all of you already know, every build has a story. This build is no different. I have previously stated that this Cuban mahogany was used in an elevator car for the UN. Turns out that I was mistaken, it wasn't the UN, but rather it was used in a renovation of some of the elevator cars in the world trade center. I have 3 pieces of this beautiful wood and they are all 16" wide by 7/8" thick. I have cut one of these pieces in have to make this body. I still have one 3' piece and two 2' pieces left. I hope to use this left over wood to make a few more basses. I just thought it was pretty cool to have some of the material that was used in the twin towers.
  14. kevinldn

kevinldn

It looks like the bottom side (control panel side) is larger than the top side. I somewhat traced the main body of my yamaha but I might need to add a piece onto the side of the neck mounting area and recut that area. Is this a good idea or would that cause the neck mount to become too weak? I am going with a bolt on neck.
  15. owendavis

owendavis

If you mean the sides around the base of the neck then I don't see why you would need to. As long as you use enough bolts, that is..
  16. kevinldn

kevinldn

I did mean the sides. I think I will be able to angle the neck on the body a little bit to even it out a touch. I am starting to like the offset look though. I might just keep it as it is.