First bass build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by XxJoshxX, Mar 28, 2014.

1. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX

Hey guys.
    Many of you probably know me from other forums, but since I'm about to start a bass build I registered here.For those of you who don't know me,my name is Josh, I'm 14 and I've built a decent amount of guitars, but not a bass.
    I do not play bass, but I noodled around on a 5 string at Guitar Center and decide I wanted one.
    The plan is to build a 5 string fanned fret fretless (with cheater lines) I'm going to try to use cheap and scrap wood for this build since it isn't really a priority.I have a left over zebrawood fretboard and will probably be buying some pine soon.Since Im just a kid I dont have a lot of money to spend. The build will probably start some time late next month.
    Here is the zebrawood fretboard
    [​IMG]
    Im fairly sure that it came off of the same piece as this guitar Im about to finish up.
    [​IMG]
    This is the closest thing Ive found to what I want
    [​IMG]
  2. Splods

Splods

A fanned fretless is a little hard to get around, especially if you don't play much bass. I would suggest starting on something more practical, like a regular fretless 5.

That guitar build looks awesome, can't wait to see more.
  3. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX

I think that Ill go ahead with the idea,I don't see myself playing this that much, just building it for fun. If I end up liking it, Ill build another that is better suited, I also have some of those single string bridges which ive been waiting to use.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Honestly, just do a standard fretless board and skip the multiscale idea. Or do a fretted multiscale. Its just going to be to hard to play.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Splods

Splods

You'll make yourself not want to play bass, and that will make me sad.
  7. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX

Okay. I guess Ill go straight scale fretless. I just measured the zebrawood and its waaayyyyy too small for this beast. I didn't realize how huge these guys are. Ill find something else to use.
    What scale length do you guys like for 5's?(Like I said, Im a bass noob!)
  8. car_man65

car_man65

Most 5 strings are 34 inch scale but some are 35. I've heard a lot of good stuff about 35 inch scale but never tried one. I'd do research about both scale lengths and see what you like. The standard 34 inch scale would likely be easier moving from guitar over to bass. You could also look into short scale basses if you decide to go fretted.

Glad to know there is another young person who really enjoys working with instruments (I'm also 14)
  9. Splods

Splods

34 inch is the average, but if you like lighter gauge strings, then a 35 would work better. I like my 5 strings to be strung E-C instead of B-G, so I just use a 34 inch scale.

Go to a large music store and find what works for you. Ask to play both 34 and 35 inch basses, and see which one feels better.

I did my first bass builds when I was 14, and I've been working on the repair side of things since then.