First Bass effect..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lifeson70, Feb 8, 2013.

1. lifeson70

lifeson70

I am looking for my first bass effect.. I am thinking about buying the
    Tech 21 SansAmp RPM.. I've read a lot of reviews on here. it seems to be great. Any thoughts?
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, the RPM is meant to take the place of an amp, hence the name "SansAmp". You can use it as an effect, but usually it would be your main preamp for recording or onstage sound.

If you have an amp, and you want to add distortion-type effects, then there are hundreds of overdrive and distortion pedals to choose from that cost less than an RPM, and are more suited to the task.
  3. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, it's a preamp, not an effect. What's your goal ?
  4. john_martin_sai

john_martin_sai

I'd go with a ZOOM B3......
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lifeson70

lifeson70

I would like to have something to help with different sounds of bands I like, Rush,Led Zeppelin,Metallica,Iron Maiden.. etc...

I have been playing Bass and Guitar for a while.. I am not that great.
    But I am now getting more serious about learning Bass... I like all types of music ,besides the bands i listed..
  7. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Don't do it your wallet will never be the same
  8. lifeson70

lifeson70

I was just looking at that one.. It looks good. thanks
  9. lifeson70

lifeson70

haha that was funny..
  10. Lukc

Lukc

I've used the effect you are talking about, but it was for my guitarist's guitar when we were on studio and didn't want to mic the amp. Really it's best to get pedals. I heard good things about the marshall bass pedal line, even if i've only tried the compressor
  11. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

O.k. I'd look at the VT Deluxe pedal and place it in front of the amp so you have extra e.q. to control your cab. If you place it in the effects loop, it's hard to fine tune from room to room because the tone shaping on the pedal is very,very sensitive and a pain to have to squat down and fumble with. It allows you to program multiple settings and sounds great. For Cliff Burton stuff, he used more than OD but someone else will have to help because I could hardly hear him in the mix on their recordings.