First bass for less than $300 give or take

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Empryrean, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Empryrean

Empryrean

Hello everyone, I was directed here by a friend on sevenstring.org when I asked about basses and what a good first bass would be. I want a bass mostly for recording, but versatile in producing different sounds and styles( might as well learn bass if I'm gonna buy one).
    I really don't have much direction or know-how in making this decision, other than; I want a 5 string.

Any input at all would be most appreciated!

p.s. I'm sorry if this is the wrong section. :bag:
  2. VS

VS

Disclosures:
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Welcome to Talkbass! You've definately found all the answers to your questions on this site. You can search the threads to find a bass in your price range, style etc. You'll find endless recommendations for starter basses and such. It will be even easier since you're looking for a 5 string. Finding a somewhat decent 5 string in your price range may be tough but definately possible. Good luck!
  3. Empryrean

Empryrean

Thank you very much VS!
    I've been looking into things and have considered the following:
    peavey millinium, fernandes tremor, yamaha rbx###(i forgot the number).
    Does anyone have experience with these?
  4. Bass Hole

Bass Hole

It's such a subjective thing... people love what they love for whatever reason and everyone is different.
    Some people will say avoid Chinese or Korean or whatever while others are satisfied with theirs.
    Personally, I think the Rockbass line of Warwick is a good value and they sound great. Then again you could find a higher end, but used bass in the same price range.
    Best bet is to start trying out every one you can get your hands on and see what floats your boat.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. baddarryl

baddarryl

Those Millineum BXP's are great. You will not find a better bass for the money. Other than that look used!
  7. VS

VS

Disclosures:
    I've played the Millennium before. Great sounding bass and well made. I haven't tried the others. I'm sure people will chime in soon and let you know what they think of the Fernandes and Yamaha and give you an accurate comparison. -Luke
  8. ExurKun

ExurKun

what youre gonna hear everyone say is:
    get either a vm squier or cv squier jazz
  9. Empryrean

Empryrean

Wow thanks a bunch guys! I'll have to sleep on it before I'm dead set, but I'm really leaning toward the Peavey now :)

why is that?
  10. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

SX

The fact is, a new $300 bass is hardly gonna be worse than an SX, which is a pretty amazing value...
  11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

If you want a new instrument at that price, there aren't a lot of choices -- the Peavey is probably your best bet, or a yamaha rbx375. I think I just saw the five-string Paz Lenchantin Luna bass on sale on some sites around that price. There are some decent Schecters just about the $300 mark, or an Ibanez 305. Otherwise, I'd say look for used basses here in the classifieds or in your local craigslist.
  12. BASSATTACK

BASSATTACK

13. Empryrean

Empryrean

Please do tell about that Paz Lenchantin Luna :oops:

SX, as in Rondomusic? I am quite familiar with that website; thank you for the recommendation sir!

Guys if you could post reasoning for certain basses it would be wonderful. I really don't know what to look for in a bass.
  14. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

What music do you want it for? Metal, knowing SS.org ;)

Look around perhaps for a used Ibanez Soundgear. Nice fat neck, dual humbucking pickups and an active EQ give lots of tone shaping options for recording
  15. Empryrean

Empryrean

Nail on the head sir! but I'd like room to do other things as well; sometimes just ambient or foolin around with weird chords tritone/chromatic.
    I'd thought of Ibanez, but honestly I wanna avoid those basses. aside from the BTB and ATK models, the those other ones just look so blaand to me :/

on a tangent note, how are spector basses?
  16. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

Spector are decent, you could probably get a nice used Q5 or Legend for around $300
  17. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

18. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

+1 to BASSATTACK's suggestion of the Squier Active Jazz V.

For the money, it sounds quite good, plays/feels nice and the sunburst finish is pretty nice to look at. It's a great entry level 5-string that doesn't act entry level.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...e-Jazz-Bass-Active-V-5String-Bass-?sku=512618

The pickups aren't quite as hot as other basses I've played, but they still sound good. The B-string is decent, I didn't notice much flab. I've actually thought about picking one of these up for a knock-around, leave-it-at-the-practice-spot bass because it really DOES sound pretty good. Also, if your heart so desires, mod the crap out of it and make it a SCREAMER! I just put a set of Basslines Quarter Pounds in my MIA Fender Jazz V and they sound great... same great Jazz bass sound, but higher output and wider, warmer low end. That'd be a great not-to-expensive mod to really get the Squier a little kick in the booty.

Like Bass Hole said though, instruments are pretty personal things and everyone has their preferences and opinions. The best thing you can do is head to a local shop and see what feels good to your hands and sounds good to your ears, you know?

5sg.
  19. VS

VS

Disclosures:
    Such well-built instruments for practically nothing! -Luke
  20. Catbuster

Catbuster

I played an RBX375... Awesome bass for what Mom's was aking for it, $370 or so.
  21. AciDBatH666

AciDBatH666

I'd look at an Ibanez BTB 5 string.
    When I was looking to get into bass gear (After 10 on and off years of guitar) I did a lot of research and got some pretty good insight that veered me towards the BTB line. You can find one used for $300 at a couple of places. I found mine at Daddy's Used gear but I've been browsing Guitar Center's used page pretty often for a used cabinet, and because I like my 5 string BTB so much I want to get a 4 string BTB. I just looked on Guitar Center and they've got about 20+ of them. You can ship them free from any store if there's a Guitar Center near you.

I own several basses and when my others came in, I learned to value my BTB even more because it's got an onboard EQ with bass cut/boost, treble cut/boost, Mid boost/cut, and a mid frequency. So you've got lots of options for tone. Another one of the reasons I got it.
    Just my 2 cents. Hope you find something you like :)