1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First bass -- Ibanez, Squier, Cort or ESP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fela, May 31, 2011.

1. Fela

Fela

Hey guys, i'm planning to buy a bass guitar (my first one), but i don't know which bass i should buy!!
    Friends suggested Ibanez gsr200 , cort, esp or maybe even squier
    i still can't decide :confused: ..can any1 give me your opinions n suggestions?
    i have a budget of around $450
  2. lel95

lel95

the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series are amazing for the price. I suggest looking at them
  3. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee Supporting Member

This...

The new classic vibe Squiers are excellent. I've been playing for 8 years and looking to pick one of these up soon!

Also, does your budget of $450 include an amp?
  4. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

+1 VM Jazz

[​IMG]
  5. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

Squire CV or VM for sure
  6. Fela

Fela

no $450 is only for the guitar..$600 including amp
  7. Fela

Fela

i hear ESP makes good guitars at low prices..what do you think?
  8. Metal Bassist

Metal Bassist

What music are you likely to play? ESP and Ibenez are better for more modern metal, but if you want something more versatile go for the squire.
  9. Aspidites

Aspidites

I think you would be much better off buying a Squire Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified. You should also be able to find a used Peavey USA Fury for around $200 and they are great basses for the money.
  10. Mushroo

Mushroo

My recommendation is to head to your local music shop and play as many as you can. Which feels and sounds best to you? Used equipment is an especially good way to get "bang for your buck." If you have a friend who plays better than you, bring him/her along to demonstrate.

You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a decent instrument. I have 7 basses ranging in price from $50 to $1,200 and the one I get asked to use the most is a $150 P-bass-style from SX.
  11. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    I posted a thread here yesterday about a home assembled J bass I saw on Craigslist. It is right at your budget, and it has a Phil Kubicki neck, which when you decide to move up in bass, you can always get for the neck more then you would for any of the Squire's or Cort's in the future.

My thoughts, although as always there is always the risk of not being able to play before you buy. However, I know this, a Kubicki neck will feel more comfortable then anything else out there.

tom
  12. lel95

lel95

[​IMG]
    My main bass is a VM jazz, i couldn't be happier.
  13. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

+ 1 on the Squier VM and CV series, although I started on an Ibanez GSR200 and feel its a fine bass in its own respects. If you're going to be playing some heavy music you might like the "phat bass boost" that the GSR200 has on it.
  14. Fela

Fela

i like to all play all genres of music..but i don't play metal that often, just on occasion..mostly rock, blues and funk.
  15. Mushroo

Mushroo

A "P" or "J" style bass would fit all 3 of those musical styles well. These are probably the 2 most common styles of bass, and you can find them at a number of price points.
  16. lel95

lel95

In my opinion i would go for a jazz as they are more versatile
  17. gitlvr

gitlvr

The recommendations for the Squier are good ones. CV or VM.
  18. Fela

Fela

thanks alot guys..i'l look into the Squier :)
  19. Fela

Fela

thanks alot guys..i'll look into the squier :)
  20. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

This won't be as helpful as you'd like but try all of the ones you listed. The Squiers get a lot of love around here and they are good basses but they might not be your cup of tea. Don't just go for the Squier automatically... Check out the Yamaha BB414 as well...