First bass (SS): Squier Mikey Way or Gretsch Junior Jet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedHotFuzz, Mar 20, 2014.

1. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Looking at the magical $300 price point for a decent-ish beginner instrument. I was set on the Mikey Way but the Junior Jet looks intriguing too. Sadly I can find neither locally, so it will be a leap of faith and an online order.

Anyone have experience with both and can offer some pros/cons for each model?

Sidenote: as a sucker for design, that Gretsch Thunder Jet looks positively drool-worthy. I could look at that thing all day. :bassist: Bummer about the $2k price tag. Maybe someday, if the bass-playing thing sticks with me.

[​IMG]
  2. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

They are both short scales and both made by Fender. I would tilt toward the Gretsch because it appears to have a standard Fender bridge, should you ever want to play with a swap there. Not having heard or played either, I would suspect the Gretsch to be thumpier, due to the pickup being closer to the neck. But really? I would suggest a used MIM Fender, which you should be able to nab for around that price.
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Are you dead set on a short scale? Between the two, I would go with the Squier because I am not a fan of single neck pickup basses. The Mikey Way has the pickup more in the P position so it wont sound as muddy.
  4. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

That's what I'd like. Seems it would much easier to switch between guitar and bass with a SS.
  5. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I would get the squier mustang over the mike sig.

Also I would be open to it unless you are less then average in height and hand size. I have been playing full scales since 13 and I have went from bass to guitar so I think guitar to bass doesnt warrant or make it easier as I have heard claims to be, thats a myth to me. I had no issues going to a guitar with a scale of 24 inches from a bass of 34 inches.

But if you are sticking to shorties I would look into the VM squier mustang.
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

The Squier Jaguar is a nice shorty too
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Its not really difficult to switch between a full scale bass and a guitar. Its not the scale length that makes them feel so different.

But like said before, I would go with the Squier Jag instead.
  8. knumbskull

knumbskull

i'd echo both these statements - the VM Mustang is a hell of a bass for the money. and don't fear the long scale :)

side note/brag/endorsement - i just got in from a gig with my VM Mustang, it got warm compliments on its sound from a couple of pros in attendance.

not the playing, obviously...
  9. MakoMan

MakoMan

You really can`t go wrong either way. As other have said, the regular Squier Mustang and the Squier Jag are also very good choices. The Jag is an absolute steal at the price.
    As for playing short scales... it IS easier to transition from guitar to bass on a shorty. A shorty is easier to play, no doubt. I personally love them.