1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First budget amp (small wattage)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by blackrose47, Feb 14, 2014.

1. blackrose47

blackrose47

Hello! I own an Ibanez GSR-100 and a very little Ibanez DAG-1 (its just 3W and it's a guitar amp) and I wanna move to a real bass amp which is loud enough for home practice and some small gigs. I'm not part of a band and probably not gonna be any time soon, and when I sometimes play with some friends it's just 2 guitars and a bass, and maybe a piano, but no drums and no big stage, so I don't need a lot of power.

Therefore, here are my options:
    Fender Rumble 30 - 30W / 10"
    Ampeg BA-108 - 25 W / 8"
    Orange PIX25BX - 30 W / 8"
    Artec B60 - 60W RMS / 12" with 3" tweeter.

Which one would suit me best? I don't care about how many tones I can get. My aim is slapping the low E or a Drop C tuning without popping, buzzing or crackling.
  2. Wallygator

Wallygator

The ampeg BA-108 is a sweet sounding little amp. I love the tone I get out of it. It works great when jamming with guitars and vocals but if you add drums, you'll end up having to push it too hard. IMHO
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I agree, the Ampeg is a great little amp with lots of usable volume but if you think you might run out of gas jamming, get a BA-110.
  4. Doctor_K

Doctor_K

I just bought a Rumble 30, they are down to $130, and first impressions are good.
  5. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

What is your budget? Remember to look for used gear too!
  6. blackrose47

blackrose47

My budget is 250$ at most...but prices vary from US to my country (Romania)
  7. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I have no idea about the used music gear market in Romania, but here you can get higher quality gear 1/2 the price of buying new. Certain brands are "built like a tank," and can be bought used with reasonable confidence. Peavey makes good entry level gear that is indestructible. New Peavey Max 110 and 112 are under $250 US.

The new Peavey's are more powerful than the amps you mention. They are small gig able. I started on a used $100 Peavey Basic 112. It has a very good shaping pre amp with its low mid and high mid knobs-- I just went and slapped on it (not my normal thing) and yes, it sounds good, great little amp 50 watts rms into an 8 ohm 12 speaker.

good luck,
    fnord!
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The Ampeg BA-108 gets a lot of respect here on TB - and if you could swing the extra coin for the Ampeg BA-110 it would be even sweeter.
  9. edencab

edencab

you should check out the Fender Bronco......40 W 10" speaker, built in tuner, lots of different model tones built in, lots of effects, included modelling software, lots of other features.....gets plenty loud
  10. Linnin

Linnin

+1 Agree that the Bronco 40 is one very versatile small bass amp that sounds HUGE and sure is a whole lot of fun to play through.

The Fender Rumble 30 is an excellent choice in it's price range. New Fender Rumble 40 will soon be out to replace it.