1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First Build - Electronics?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mixedmindz, Dec 26, 2013.

1. mixedmindz

mixedmindz

Hello,

I'm new to TB.

I've started collecting things for my first build.

I've got most of the wood side figured out at this point. (or at least I think I do)

But as a relatively new bass player (2 years) with only experience on my bass, I am finding the options for Pickups/Preamps/Wirings/Mods overwhelming.

As this is a Father/Son/Brother multi-instrument first build. (Dad's the Carpenter and We're the musicians) I plan on cutting no corners on components. (why save $20 on an heirloom?)

Anyone have suggestions?

I've been playing an Ibanez SG 5 string with CAP pickups.

As far as music style I jam along with Radiohead to Dubstep to Pantera. But that doesn't mean I don't want some funk when it's called for.

looking at aguilar and bartolini.
    but mostly because I see them on expensive custom basses online. I've never heard one that I know for sure. I certainly haven't had any chance to compare them in any real way.

Any and all recommendations welcome!

I planned to talk about some common mods with a buddy from work who has practical experience but from a guitarist modding guitars.

-MM-
  2. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

A lot of pickup manufactures have sound clips on their websites to give an idea of what different pickups sound like. Doesn't mean that's exactly how it will sound on yours, but it's a good place to start.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

You can't go wrong with just about any reputable PUP manufacturer. They all make pretty good stuff. I have always used DiMarzio.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

For a first build, keep it simple, but good quality. Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio would be my least expensive recommendation, Delano or Nordstrand, or a boutique builder like Curtis Novak if you feel like splurging. Buy a set of matched pickups; this will ensure that they will hum-cancel when used together, and the wire colors will be consistent. Most should come with a wiring diagram; if not, there are plenty here if you do a search.

Active preamp is optional, but if you do want one, then there are lots of good choices out there, but stay away from the cheapies that flood eBay. Some of them have a small black box that holds the circuitry, others use small circuit boards attached to one or more of the controls. I prefer the latter for ease of installation.

You know what? A really, really good place to start is bestbassgear.com. Browse through what they offer with the assurance that nothing they sell is junk. :)
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

1. There are plenty of people here who will be glad to help. I have no experience with those two pickups or preamps.

2. So I'll just take this opportunity to say welcome to TalkBass!