1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

First Build-medium scale PJ/bass vi hybrid 4 string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bass_of_space, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Hi everybody,

I have built a saga kit bass before but I am attempting my first real build by making a body for a Warmoth neck.

This is my design:

[​IMG]

It is based on the Fender Bass VI shape with a different pickguard and slightly smaller, more proportional shoulders.

The bass will have an african mahogany body, maple neck with indian rosewood fingerboard, DiMarzio model P/J set, Schaller BML Light tuners and an aluminium pickguard. I haven't decided on the bridge yet.

Here is the mahogany for the body, after the initial milling:

[​IMG]

This picture shows the 32'' scale neck that I ordered from Warmoth and some of the other parts that I will be using:

[​IMG]

It was taken before I decided on using chrome hardware so the bridge and tuners will be different to the ones in the photo.

The neck specs are as follows:
    -32'' scale
    -flatsawn maple neck
    -indian rosewood fingerboard
    -SSB Warhead headstock (no paddle choice on short and medium scale)
    -1-1/2'' (38mm) nut width
    -10'' radius
    -21 frets
    -6230 nickel fretwire
    -cream dots
    -black corian nut

I will apply a tru-oil finish on both the neck and the body. I may stain the mahogany to get a slightly more brown color because it turned out to be a lot lighter than I expected from seeing its rough sawn stage.

I do have a question for those more experienced than me. I am planning on planing the board down to 1.5'' for its final thickness. Would that be thick enough for a front routed body?

Thank you and stay tuned.

2. I joined and ripped the sides of my board flat, cross cut it into two sections and glued them to make a body blank. After clamping for 24 hours, I planed the body blank down to 1-3/8''.

I forgot to take pictures of those steps but here is my design printed on paper, laid out on the body blank and traced onto the wood.

[​IMG]

I made my relief cuts with the bigger bandsaw that has a wider blade and cut the final shape on a smaller one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used a belt sander and an orbital spindle sander to refine the final shape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
  5. I forgot to add that after cutting the body, I weighed it and was very surprised to see that it was a little over 3.5 pounds. With the shorter scale and lightweight tuners, this is going to turn out to be a very light bass. :hyper:

6. You'll also find that the shorter scale further reduces the likelyhood of neck dive. :)

7. bassingeorge

bassingeorge Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2003
    San diego, CA
  8. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    My Precision is about 1.5" thick and front routed, so I would think you're ok there.

I like the design. Looking forward to seeing this take shape.