1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

    We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First build (sort of) 5 string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jack67rs, Dec 2, 2012.


  1. jack67rs

    jack67rs

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    I wanted to share this project with everyone that I've been working on for the last several months. I was not sure how it was going to turn out or turn out at all, so I really have not photographed a whole lot of the progress. Let me start off by saying I did not start from scratch on this. I have been wanting to try building a guitar for some time and came across an ad in the classifieds here on talk bass selling several necks and bodies in the early stages. Some of you might have seen his builds here in this section, Jason A is the individual I purchased the whole lot from. I had been following several of his builds for some time and at one point almost bought one of his completed basses. Thanks again Jason.

    This was the perfect opportunity for me to get started slowly with the idea of do a complete build in the near future. I received all of these with the bodies cut out and necks assembled. The work I performed on this one including carving the neck, fretting, leveling and recrowning the frets. Also drilling the tuner holes and raidiusing the fingerboard which I did at a 16" radius. The body required shaping and sanding the belly contour, routing the pickups and electronics covers, mounting the bridge and input jack.

    Probably one of the most trying things during the build was actually what I thought going to be the easiest parts, painting the guitar. I've painted several cars and built cars featured on the cover of Hot Rod magazine. I think I cleared and started over on this one four times, at one point I was sure this one was going to end up in the trash can. I'm glad I pushed through and researched more. Most of my struggles seem to develop from the choice of wood used on the front of this one (lacewood). It just seemed to continue to outgas and bubble through the clear. All the other woods would look perfect.

    Another benefit of taking on these projects was trying several different pickup and preamp setups. For this guitar I chose a Spector tone pump and two emg tw pickups. I've been very pleased with the sound this guitar puts out and how it plays. I've got to fine tune the nut a little and lower the action down and I'm sure it will be perfect.

    Jack

    image-3502580797.jpg
     

Share This Page