1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First DIY pedal BYOC content

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by crusie, Jan 3, 2013.

1. crusie

crusie

hi gang,

So a while back, I decided to try to build a pedal myself. Having no real experience with soldering on PCB's, I thought I should start out gently.
    So up around xmas I bought myself a BYOC optical compressor and build it.

here's some pictures with some notes on them - hope this link works.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/106699435649198184378/albums/5829352260395681409

only real problem I had, was that the manual didn't say anything about how the LED should be oriented, and ofcourse I turned it upside down the first time. that ment no light, but pedal worked. so I had to disasemble the pedal again and turn the LED 180 degrees...

Cheers

Crusie

2. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

awesome job, how does it sound?

3. crusie

crusie

At home i actually just got a small guitar AMP for practising, so there is no way to know for sure. I can hear the compressor working though. Extreme settings almost works as slow gear. You know, hardly any attack and then a volume rise. At more moderate levels (around noon) it seems my d and g strings gets more low end. I did the bass modifications, which is 3 different resistors in the right places - all included in the kit

4. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Really nice job. Great looking.

I built an BYOC OD2 about a year ago, and had a blast doing it. A lot of fun, and the OD2 sounds terrific. I've been looking at the site thinking of building another one...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. crusie

crusie

I was thinking about that as my second build - does it work well with bass ? and which mods, if any, did you install?

7. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

The bass mods are all broken out in the instructions online - they tell you exactly what to replace. I did the MOSFET mods which I think sound better. I also found a mod in their forum that put the boost before the overdrive, so you can run the boost into it. Makes the overdrive sound even better. That's definitely worth checking out. If you have trouble finding it let me know, I've got the link for it around somewhere.

8. crusie

crusie

Do you by any chance have build diary, somewhat like did for mine? Think that would an awesome way to share knowledge

9. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

You know I did keep a diary with pencil notes on a print out of the board. Unfortunately, I tossed it about 2 months after I finished the project. I probably should have posted it on BYOC as a help. :rollno:

However, their instructions on the bass mods, MOSFET mods (if you want them, and they are worth doing) are clear in the documentation provided you read the whole thing through first. There's not one place where they're all listed out.

The instruction for putting the boost in front of the FAQ are on the board and are a sticky I think.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I'm happy to answer any questions if you have them. I also found the folks on the BYOC board to be fantastic. When I first built the OD2 part of it wasn't working. I posted a gut shot and details and they told me exactly what to do to test for the two or three things that could be causing it. Turned out to be a bad component, and if not for them I would have spent days trying to track down what I messed up on. Then BYOC had a replacement part with two spares out to me the same day!

Good luck!