1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First Few Frets making no sound?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EddyJWardo, Nov 19, 2012.

1. EddyJWardo

EddyJWardo

I have a problem :( the first two frets on my A D and D strings are just buzzing against the neck. Does this mean the neck needs adjustment because of the cold weather? The last gig I played was in pouring rain and 50< temps. Or is this something worse?

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Definitely sounds like a setup issue. You can do a setup yourself (check the Setup sticky here) or take it to a local tech to check it out.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Based on your description, my best guess is that your neck has some backbow. You need to verify this and add some relief (loosen) to the truss rod.

If it is buzzing within the first 5 frets the neck is typically too straight. If it's buzzing around the 12th, it's got too much relief.

Bob

4. EddyJWardo

EddyJWardo

Great, thanks alot guys. I was worried for a sec xD

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup &amp; repair guitars &amp; basses
    You probably need a little relief in the neck, and because it's the A&D strings, I suspect that those saddles may be a mite low, too.