1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First Flats And ???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Nov 23, 2012.

1. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Hoping to get some input here, have been reading quite a bit.

Bass is a Carvin SB5000 (bolt on neck Jazz). I want to try out flats on this bass, I'm not a fan of roundwound strings. My other basses have either tapes or grounds on them.

Particular question....

The SB came with Labellas in 40-60-80-100-128.

Because I did not want to file the nut, I decided to stay in a similar gauge, so I ordered D'Addario Chromes in 45-65-80-100-132 (listed as "light").

Now, never having used flats before, and reading what I've been reading, should I be concerned about the excess tension that the flats will create? Or should I be okay with just tweaking the truss rod if needed?

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You should be fine tweaking the truss rod. Even if you get the exact same gauges you are going to need to adjust the neck and intonation (basic setup).

Carvin is a quality instrument so you shouldn't have any issues with this.
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Who said there will be "excess" tension? There may be a difference in gauges, but you are making assumptions with no basis. Play it and see.
  4. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I just recently put my first set of flats on a 4 string bass. They are also chromes, in the light gauge. The former strings were nickel round 45-105. I didn't have to do anything at all, except for a very slight tweek of the truss rod and minor adjustment of the intonation on the G and D strings.
  5. Metaldood19

Metaldood19

You should only need to adjust your truss rod one quarter turn to compensate for the added tension. Then you'll be golden. Enjoy, Chromes rule.
  6. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Thanks! I've just read some horror stories of people going with flats and having trouble with the tension being too much for the neck. Didn't want to be one of those stories.

I can do my own set up, did it on all my others. I can do the truss rod and intonation and action, so as far as setting it up I'm not too worried. Just wanted to get some opinions from others who know more than I do. I thought it would be okay because Carvin offers flats as an option when you order this bass, and the Carvin flats are a similar gauge.

Thanks for the input!!!!