1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

first fretless recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Jan 3, 2013.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

hey guys, i got a fretless bass 2 months ago and i finally made a recording of it... well, a song using the bass. Listening to it again, i would say that there are some rythm issues and a bit of intonation problems.
    HOWEVER, for all you players (fretless or not), tell me what you think of this recording:
    Link is in my signature and the song is called: "Clutch"
    Thank you so much.
  2. bassteban

bassteban

Nice- I liked it. Wanted to hear some more crashing, reverb-laden drums and a beautiful-but-disturbed, operatic female voice in there. Not pointing fingers, but I'd work on intonation a bit. I hope this helps!
  3. portlandguy

portlandguy

the fretless cuts thru nicely,
  4. Disappear

Disappear

First listen through...

I really like your part, it really adds to the song. I frankly can't stand the strumming pattern used. The bridge does have some intonation (~2:00). I don't think the guitar solo there fits either... or it might just need some tightening up. I don't like how the outro concludes; seems abrupt. The chorus (~1:30) sounds clunky and I don't know what else to say about it.

I love your melody, it makes the song.

My suggestion, which coincides with bassteban, is add some interest points with dyanmics? I think another thing that was bothering me was the variance between your legato playing vs. the staccatto parts the guitar was playing sometimes. If it's a chill song you wanted, less the attack on the notes, eg. play more smoothly and vice versa.

did I mention I liked your bassline?