First full build idea, need some input

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by slappa_dat_bass, Dec 2, 2012.

1. slappa_dat_bass

slappa_dat_bass

So I'm considering a full build project, not just a rebuild or resto job. I'm not wanting to spend a ton of cash on a guinea pig, so I'm considering using some scrap stuff my father has left from housework/furniture work. I intended on using 2 2x10 planks, 3 1/2 feet long, as my main body blank. These are either spruce or pine. Both are kiln dried and very very straight and flat. For the top I'm using 2 1x10 walnut trim boards, with. Itsm thinking a soundgear style body, using an emg p/j setup I have in a box somewhere. I haven't decided on neckwood or fingerboard wood, so this is where I need some input. As of right now my material cost is $0 dollars lol. I can afford to buy a good maple neck blank and rosewood or ebony fingerboard blank. But since its going to me made of scrap Lowes lumber, should I buy the good neck stuff or seek alternative woods? This will be my first build and a learning experience, so any help is appreciated! Thanx and God Bless :)

2. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Yeah dude, go for it! As long as you're not using exotic woods you can keep the project cheap and practical. Flatsawn maple is sufficient and inexpensive for a neck and rosewood is a good choice for a low budget first build.

3. slappa_dat_bass

slappa_dat_bass

Well the walnut is out. He decided to keep it. But he has some gorgeous cedar and some red oak..... and as for the neck I think ill either order a blank from stewmac or some place like 5that. Also what's the word on just doing a linseed oil finish on pine? My dads boss finished his entire horsebarn inside with linseed oil so I have ready access to it and it just looks soooooo sexy lol

4. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Research boiled linseed oil. For some reason regular linseed oil doesn't work well for finishing basses, this is just what I've read on TB though I've not actually had any experience will either.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You can honestly get away with using maple from Home Depot or whatever your local wood source will have, as long as it's straight and clear.

Pine is very soft, and will ding easily, so you may want to do a hard-drying clearcoat.

7. slappa_dat_bass

slappa_dat_bass

Ok so I've decided on a 3 piece maple/walnut laminated neck with a good truss rod. I can get 1x6 planed and edged aaa grade planks for 2.00 bd/ft (thank you craigslist!). My next question: will plain old elmers wood glue work for the neck or ????? Remember I'm a total noob to building from scratch so go easy on me lol

8. slappa_dat_bass

slappa_dat_bass

I'm going to pick up the maple and walnut tomorrow for the neck laminate, and the guy also informed me that he had some buckeye burl for sale dirt cheap. I'm getting the maple for 2.75 bd/ft, the walnut for 2.50 bd/ft, and the buckeye for 2.50 bd/ft. So it looks like my simple little scrap lumber build is becoming something totally different lol. Also what's everyones take on doing a reverse laminate fretboard? My neck is gonna be 3 piece maple/walnut/maple. What if I do a laminate fretboard in walnut/maple/walnut? This is gonna be a fretless bass also, so keep that in mind. Let's hear some opinions :)

9. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

I'd like to see that! I'm not really an expert on this, but I was looking into doing a laminated fretboard with walnut and maple and I found some people saying walnut doesn't hold frets good, so I didn't go for it, but since you're doing a fretless, I don't see why not.

10. slappa_dat_bass

slappa_dat_bass

Yea I think that as long as I use some good epoxy to seal it the fingerboard should be fine. But it should look killer!

11. slappa_dat_bass

slappa_dat_bass

This is my design. I really like the wider horns, but I need some help with a headstock :/

Attached Files:

12. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

I like it. An idea for the headstock would be to make it assymetrical, longer on the bass side. Just an idea though, whatever looks good to you is the way to go as long as the tuners fit.