First Gig Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassist_anubis, Apr 15, 2003.

1. bassist_anubis

bassist_anubis

Ok, I started playing bass 3 months ago, I'm getting pretty good at it, but I am still borrowing the schools bass and I don't have my own practice amp, I'm strapped for cash because of I'm starting college in sept.

I want to jam with friends and do very small gigs with them, but I want a bigger amp then the traditional practice amp, should I get a larger amp (and what size), or stay on the practice amp for a while?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

Get a larger amp NOW.

Small practice amps are a complete waste of money. You can practice just as well on a big amp as a small one but you can't jam or gig with small amps.

For $100-200 you can find used Peavey or Crate amps that will be plenty loud for jamming and even the sort of gigs you might land in college (frat parties, etc.).

Any combo amp of 100 watts or more and a 15" speaker will do the trick: Peavey TNT, Peavey "Combo", Crate BX-160, etc.
  3. wulf

wulf

A bass of your own might also be useful before you hit September. It might be worth sitting down and doing a little cash flow analysis (figuring any useful events like birthdays, etc) to see what you might have to spend.

I'd agree with brianrost that a practice amp isn't really worth it. Something reasonably large (albeit transportable) would be good - and it would be worth looking at what you can get second hand as well.

Reliability and a good amount of volume are probably more important than 'tone to die for' and 'drop dead gorgeous looks'.

Wulf
  4. bassist_anubis

bassist_anubis

I tried looking at larger amps and I found that I could get pretty good deals with a used amp, now I know sterio amps from the 70's last forever but is it the same with bass/guitar amps?

Another question is a Yamaha B100-112 III a bass amp? It is 100w w/ 1X12" combo, I checked the Yamaha products online and I can't find it so I assume it isn't made anymore. Dose anyone know what it is?

And second they have a Doyle 2X10" CAB, what the hell is that, I can't find Doyle products anywhere on net. Its a 200w 2x10" cabinet @ 16 OHMS, its worth $250 canadian. Has anyone know if these are bass amps and if Doyle was a good make?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wulf

wulf

16 Ohms sounds like an odd figure. Most modern bass cabinets tend to be 4 or 8 Ohms.

I'm not an expert but I think you tend to get more volume out of an amp when using lower resistance speakers, which is part of why adding an extension cabinet can boost your sound.

A common choice with separate components is to start with an 8 Ohm cab - this gives an upgrade path of a second 8 Ohm cab and plugging them both in would give you 4 Ohms resistance and more cone area.

Therefore, I'd be a bit wary of the 16 Ohm Doyle cab.

With the Yamaha one (which I guess is a bass cab from the B in the name), does it have the option of plugging in an extension speaker? That would again give you an obvious upgrade path when you decide you need more power (get an extension cab... when that's not enough, get a new amp... and when that's not enough get another extension cab).

Wulf
  7. Osama_Spears

Osama_Spears

The reason why I used my Practice amp is that it's very small,and I have a small house...and mean neighbors...so,it's ideal for me....but if you have thick walls and live in the desert or something...then take his advice and get a Peavey or something....but,first I'd consider getting a bass of your own...

I was looking at amps yesterday,and my local GC has a used Peavey 115 TNT for $250(amer) so...thats relitivly the price range for them....

good luck!

-Jon:oops:
  8. GreyBeard

GreyBeard

A Peavey TNT would be the perfect amp for your needs.
  9. justBrian

justBrian Supporting Member

Ampeg B100r
    Ampeg B100r
    Ampeg B100r
    Ampeg B100r
    Ampeg B100r
    Ampeg B100r
    Ampeg B100r
    Ampeg B100r

The Ampeg B100r offers classic ampeg tone in a classy cabinet. It weighs in at just under 70lbs, has a 15" and 100 watts. Oh yeah, and it gets REALLY LOUD!
  10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Ampeg B100R:bassist:
  11. Mike A

Mike A

I'm sure the Ampeg B100R is a great amp, but it sounds like it could be a little outta buddy's price range...
    I've owned a Fender BXR100 and Crate BX-160...
    I'd suggest checking out:
    Fender BXR100 (100W, 15" spkr)
    Crate BX-100 (100W, 15" spkr ...I think)
    Peavy TNT
    or something along those lines...

Should be available used for around $200-$300.. I'd say any one of those would be more than sufficient for a couple of years. I still have my Fender BXR.. it's a great amp to keep in my buddy's garage (practice space) so I don't have to lug around my Big Gig Rig:D
  12. Mike A

Mike A

I'm sure the Ampeg B100R is a great amp, but it sounds like it could be a little outta buddy's price range...
    I've owned a Fender BXR100 and Crate BX-160...
    I'd suggest checking out:
    Fender BXR100 (100W, 15" spkr)
    Crate BX-100 (100W, 15" spkr ...I think)
    Peavy TNT
    or something along those lines...

Should be available used for around $200-$300.. I'd say any one of those would be more than sufficient for a couple of years. I still have my Fender BXR.. it's a great amp to keep in my buddy's garage (practice space) so I don't have to lug around my Big Gig Rig:D
  13. Sundogue

Sundogue

I've owned a Peavey TNT and also a Crate 100BX. I would highly recommend those as inexpensive and reliable choices that also happen to be portable.

When you first start out, you'll find that you jump from one band to another or even jump from one practice place to another...so portability will be helpful.

Starting out, a 100 watt amp with 15" speaker is a great, general purpose bass amp that will serve you well for quite some time.

Only after considerable time practicing and playing in bands will you develop "your" sound where you will start being picky about the subtle nuances of your sound and/or the overall volume problem you may encounter (i.e.- outdoor gigs or loud, hard rock bands you may be in).

For now, I would stick with good, reliable combos that are easy to haul, easy on your pocketbook and most importantly, give you time to develop yourself as a musician first...before you end up with GAS (which is inevitable for a musician). :)
  14. RumbleBot

RumbleBot

I would suggest a Yorkville 200+ watt combo. It's a no frills, cheap, durable, loud amp. I ran with a Yorkville BassMaster 200 1x15" for about five years with no problems. Generally loud enough to play most medium venues with or without PA support. Can probably get one for $300-$400 canadian.
  15. wulf

wulf

One thing I recall from my university days (University of York, about ten years ago) is that sometimes having functional gear is as important as your playing skill.

I remember one band I didn't get into where the major factor seemed to be that the other guy not only had a bass amp but also a PA! He was a more experienced bassist and probably a better player as well (Richard - you out there in Cyberspace at all?) but I got the impression that the gear factor was the major issue.

Of course, it's ten years down the line and you're on a different contintent to boot, but I would reckon that a reasonably loud, reliable amp is what you need. Being pernickity about tone can come later, once you can afford it ;)

Wulf
  16. michiel soenen

michiel soenen

17. bass4ever

bass4ever

Never heard of the make but the cab is probably 2 8 ohm speakers and so could be prettly easily rewired to 4 ohms. The Avatar website shows you how this can be done.

I would recomend going to the local music store and trying out everything they have which is in your price range and then finding a good price on the internet.
  18. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

Behringer is mediocre quality stuff at low prices. Just check reports on Harmony Central of how many folks have bought Behringer amps that were DOA within a short time.

Behringer has NO track record. They started making amps about a year ago. A 25 year old Peavey TNT will still work fine today. It's been PROVEN in the real world. We'll see how well those Behringers are doing in 2028.

Buy a used Peavey, Crate, Fender, Yorkville/Traynor and you will be all set.
  19. GreyBeard

GreyBeard

Behringer stuff is a crap shoot. One piece might be great and the next one DOA. Played with a guy who had one of their keyboard amps. OUTSTANDING and cheap. Another guy has one of their 32x8 mixers, it's starting to develope all kinds of problems. Their little feed back SHARK is one of the handiest peices of gear I own. I think it works better than their more expensive Feed Back destroyer. (once you figure out how it works, the manual is sh!t). So now we all know what I think about Behringer stuff. It might be great or it might be junk, it all depends on the day it was made I guess.;)
  20. not78pbass

not78pbass

so, what do you suggest? :p

I am always impressed by the quality of peavey for its price. the stuff is indestructable. not the best sounding, but always LOUD, solid and cheap! If you shop well, a $150 TNT/TKO is not out of sight. the Crate 100w 15" combo isnt bad either, and they are fairly low priced as well.
  21. bassist31588

bassist31588

I'd buy your own abss before buying yuor own amp... There's always the option of running into PA's for bigger gigs, and simply whats the use of an amp if you have no bass? atleast with a bass you can always 'hope' someone has something for you to plug into. Without your own bass, you can't practice at all.