First gig in years last night...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Shakin-Slim, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I've been something of a bedroom warrior for some time now and haven't played bass in public for about five years or so. Last night I went with a mate down to a blues jam that happens pretty regularly around here. He's a really great guitarist and we had so much fun with the house drummer, an organist and a trombone player jumped up in the last song.

We played three tunes: Pee Wee Crayton - Blues After Hours
    Kenny Burrell - Chitlins Con Carne
    Wes Montgomery - Montgomeryland Funk

I'll put up some pictures and perhaps the video depending on how it turns out. I had the most amount of fun I've had in a long time and it makes me wonder why I ever stopped. After our three songs I definitely had the buzz and wanted to keep playing.

Anyways, I hope everyone is having a great day/night!

Slim

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Awesome tunes and I bet you had a blast pounding them out :D .

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Great I'm a bedroom warrior myself thinking seriously about playing live somewhere.

4. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I sure did! There were a few minor hiccups, but nothing worth worrying about.

Jam nights seems to be a great place to start. Not only do you get to play in a (relatively) stress free environment, you can network with other players and open up more doors!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Oh yeah, I was playing my '76 Ibanez P bass through the house bassists SVT and some cab which, if I remember correctly, was a 115. I'd never played through an SVT before, but now I know why it's the amp for that sound! It was such a great experience to play through.

7. Spectrum

Spectrum

I quit playing out many years ago for school and career, and after years of occasional noodling and a few months of taking it seriously I got together with a guitarist and a drummer last year and we have now formed an originals band.

When I plugged in and turned up loud again for the first time in ages, I thought exactly what you did: "Why the F did I ever stop doing this!"

Being in an originals trio means I have been pushed to do things I never thought I could do, like writing and singing. We've done a couple of gigs and some open mics and I feel driven to do this. Playing music is pure joy.

[​IMG]

8. Russell L

Russell L

Yay to playing live! Glad you guys are getting out there for some fun. I'm in three bands presently, one being the host band for a blues jam. I can't remember what it's like to not be going to gig somewhere often. I love it, and I'm cheered to hear the joy you guys feel by getting back out. Best of luck to ya's.

9. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Haven't played that Burrell tune in years. Great song. Glad you're back.