1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First Gig With My Markbass TTE 500 - WOW!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fatcrabb, Feb 16, 2014.

1. fatcrabb

fatcrabb Supporting Member

Picked up a Markbass TTE 500 this week. This is my first tube amp in decades, (like three decades), and I was knocked on my butt by how punchy and aggressive this puppy sounded. Im using it with a Bergantino AE410 and a Spector Euro 4 LX with nickel wound strings. It was the end of the night and it was hot and we were tired etc, so the playing itself is on the sloppy side*, but I think this video is an accurate representation of what this unit plays out like. I had the gain set at 1:00, the master at 10:00 and the compressor at 12:00.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/3I-FeheI_F8?t=26m20s

*I say that in all the videos I post on TB in a weak attempt to divert attention away from my crappy bass playing lol!

deepbluesuk likes this.
  2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Nice, rich sound! I've tried a lot of amps and my MarkBass still gives me the most of what I want. I think that they really understand the bass guitar sound.

3. fatcrabb

I agree 100%. I've been playing LM2's since 2008 and theyve always performed flawlessly in every setting. It's only fitting when I went for a tube sound Markbass pulled it off again.

4. bouns

bouns

I really enjoyed this head. it really sounded great when I used my sadowsky external preamp before it! It really added warmth and thickness to the sound, and a it sounded much more tubey!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. darrenmt

darrenmt

I have owned a LM3 and currently own a TTE500. The LM3 is nice(great features, transparent, small, light) but i find the TTE500 blows it away tonally. It does a very good job of tube emulation.... thick and rich yet still quick and articulate. Basically, a fantastic sounding amp that is loud as hell yet still very light. Nice tube compression. Looks great on stage too(pseudo full tube vs toy-like micro).

7. catfishplatter

catfishplatter

Got my TTE 500 about three or four months ago sounds great, playing through orange 1x15 and a mesa PH 2x12 on top...best rig I have ever owned, and I have own alot..stays so kool when running light weight and very vintage with a modern edge!!...lol

8. Fatso

Fatso

I used an Aggy th pre. The TTE is a really cool amp but the eq is set bass 80hz, mid 800hz. I prefer to have control over 40hz and 200-500hz.

Otherwise, one of the best amps of the modern era.

9. fatcrabb

I noticed after playing it out a couple of times I could use more bottom end. Does the tone hammer pedal add enough "beef" to the lower end?

10. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

How do you find the volume output on the TTE500 fatcrabb? Im looking at making the switch to tube/hybrid amp after being an LM3 user since 2009. do you still have plenty of headroom in a live setting? I want to be able to turn up the volume/gain a bit and drive an amp, as in the past i've had these whooping big 2000w solidstate amps that barely scrape over the first volume notch and it always seemed like i wasnt getting the full tonal capabilities.

11. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

by the way, i was impressed with the tone you get out of the TTE500 on that YouTube clip. Its probably the best example on the site of the amps tonal potential. It certainly put this amp in the top 3 i want to purchase next (alongside a Genz Benz 9.2 Shuttlemax or Ampeg V-4B)

12. fatcrabb

I would say the volume output is comparable, but after using it for a few gigs now I feel the actual bass output is lacking. Consequently I think I'm pushing it a bit harder. It's possibly the cabs I'm using may not be the best match, I don't know. I'm using a Bergantino AE410. I do find at practice, (using a GKMB210E), I get e little deeper output. I'm picking up an aguilar tone hammer pedal this week to see if I can eq a little more bottom end into the equation. Will update once I hear the results.

And thanks for the comment on the video. Not the best we've ever done, it was late, had a couple of extra drinks, hot as heck in that place since it's been summer here in so cal since last summer and just plain dog tired. BUT, even a bad gig is better than staying home eh?

13. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

Thanks for the reply. I'd be running the TTE through a mark bass traveler 102p and a traveler 151p. I usually play small to medium sized pubs and venues. From 20 - 500 capacity. Would the volume of a TTE 500 be ample? As for the bass setting feeling a bit on the thin side I run through at least one preamp (vt bass and/or Owen electronics bass bomb) in my rig that could counteract that.

14. fatcrabb

Most of the clubs we play are generally no more than 200 people but it has plenty of muscle to cover those gigs. Keep in mind I generally never get past 10 o clock on the master.

15. darrenmt

darrenmt

I paired my TTE500 with a Barefaced Super 15. I get a lot of lows out of it and don't have any issues with it lacking. It is a ported cab.

Do u guys think there is a possibility that this amp has been designed to work better with a ported cab? If u look up the specs for the RJ cab, it is rear ported. Perhaps it may sound anemic with sealed cabs?

I know full tube amps don't play nice with some ported cabs and sound amazing thru sealed ones but may be totally different with the TTE since it is a hybrid. What are your thoughts?