1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First gigging rig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tamz, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Tamz

Tamz

Hi,

I'm from Brisbane, Qld, Australia.

I'm shopping around for my first rig for gigging. Would it make sense to get a rig that is suited to the style of music I want to play yet or should I get one with more versatility. I know it may sound stupid but all the different choices are doing my head in. :confused: :help:

The following describes my situation:

- Most likely to be in originals bands over covers.
    - 3 or 4pc Band (singer/guitar, guitar, bass and drums).
    - Sound: Muse (Showbiz-B&R), Nirvana, Deftones, Tool, QOTSA etc.
    - Venues anything from local pubs to 500 capacity clubs/bars.
    - Looking at buying used gear.
    - Budget is at around $1,000 Australian dollars (I'm from Brisbane).
    - I a small lady 5'1" and 50kg or 110lbs so something lighter is preferable.

Kind Regards
    T

2. IPYF

IPYF

We Australians actually have a lot less options than most of our US friends here. Also our prices simply don't compare. It will also depend alot on which of your dot-points is the important one.

What's the key factor? Tone, Weight, Power, Versatility?

For separates my gut would be to recommend an Ampeg PF500 with one of the Fliptop cabs. The cabs are not rubbish, come on casters and are quite stylish/compact. The PF500 is light and has classic Ampeg rock tones with enough power for most moderately loud situation. This would also suit your band examples. New that would cost you about $1300.

Combos are dear over here and you'd struggle to get anything for less than $1000 that would be worth looking at due to your tone/volume requirements.

Second hand you could find used Hartke/Ashdown/Peavey gear from the 90s which would be reliable and quite alright to use. With luck you could get something with an ok power/tone for about $800. The problem there would be that none of that gear could even be remotely called lightweight.

It's a tough market at the moment too. Your best bet is to go to some stores and try gear. See what you like then trawl Gumtree...

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Hard to know what is available to you at that price, and that is appropriate size/weight wise. Shopping used will stretch your budget. I would be looking for 300 -500 watts in to a pair of matching 112's, 210's, or 115's.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  4. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

yeah i afraid im not exactly sure of whats available to you and pricings etc....
    Ive got a fairly cheap set up a Hartke transporter 4x10, its incredibly cheap, about £100 these days, and amazingly light for a 4X10. i can quite happily carry it myself and I am far from muscle bound. I also got an old Trace Elliot head GP12 SMX for about £250 which probably weighs he same as the cab but would suit your tone requirements really well and both very affordable. Ive been in a position to upgrade my gear a few times and never really felt the need for more expensive stuff as it already sounds great and is plenty loud for gigging

in fact ive just had a look on australian ebay and i have this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRACE-EL...15964540?pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item2c7f66307c

although this also looks nice:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bass-Rig...U_Amplifiers&hash=item1e894bbd75#ht_324wt_922

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Abrahampost

Abrahampost Supporting Member

+1

7. Joedog

Joedog

Do you have access to GK (Gallien Krueger) gear? A GK MB212 combo has 2 12" speakers 500 watts, good tone, and goes about 38 pounds. New in the US $799 (less on sale sometimes). I just saw a nice used one for $375 or best offer. Just curious.../what is the exchange rate for US $$?

8. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Greetings from Melbourne Vic.

You might want to look at local deals on the gumtree website and also the ozbass forum has a classified section too...
    Personally I have been putting together rigs by buying one piece at a time from the U.S. as import duties only kick in at $1000 or more for us Aussies. Keeping this in mind, you can get new stuff a lot cheaper than some used gear locally by getting it off eBay and Amazon. So if it's the new gear you crave (and it meets your budget) look into that, ebay's global shipping program is also quite reasonable for us over here... Hartke cabs can be a good deal locally too if you hunt around online, I noticed QLD has a ton of large music stores that you can make a deal with too... All the best !

Edit: I also meant to add, one of my Aggie cabs, came from an awesome TB member too... So the TB classifieds are also a great place to shop ;)

9. Tamz

Tamz

Hey, thanks for your advice and I didn't even know about that ozbass forum until you mentioned it.

10. Tamz

Tamz

Thanks everyone for your replies. I purchased a cab off ebay local pick up. It's an SWR 4x12 I've posted a new thread now. I have a cab now I need a head!

11. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Pleasure, happy hunting !

12. bigboy_78

bigboy_78

Bargain MB Fusion 500 on ozbassfoums at the moment. Into the 4x12 you should be set for massive sounds. The MB Fusion will almost fit in your pocket.

13. I realize this might be a little off-topic, but I couldn't find a thread on TB with "Your First Real Rig" or anything, so I thought I would post it here.

My first rig was really pretty unique. I had two of those Cerwin Vega folded 18 cabs with the speaker facing the rear. I flipped the cabinet and the logo panel upside down and put wheels on it so the port where the sound kicked out hit me right in the gut.

cerwin_vega_b36_old.jpg

CERWINVEGA_EARTHQUAKE_B36.jpg

I didn't like tweeters so the guy that helped me design the rig and built the crossover J.T. (who was part of the Rush sound crew at that time) suggested I get a couple of Bose 901 speaker cabinets with eight 4-inch speakers to reproduce the highs.

Unknown.jpeg images.jpeg

It was a thumping rig with tons of natural mid and top definition - and I played a lot of 60X40 stages with no problem, as long as I didn't wander off too far - it was pretty directional.

I think it was a couple of Yamaha power amps, an Ashley preamp and some kind of peak limiter for speaker protection in the rack.

I may have a photo or two of it somewhere, if I find one I will post it.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

I felt bad for hijacking this thread so I started a new one here: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/describe-and-show-photos-of-your-first-real-pro-rig.1096880/

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014