1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First Overdrive/Dist/Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basslifter, Dec 31, 2013.

1. basslifter

basslifter

Hey all,
    I'm looking at my first overdrive/dist/fuzz pedal. I have narrowed it down to 3:
    MXR M80, EHX Deluxe Bass Muff or Ibanez TS9B.
    Opinions/preferences? I play a wide mix of stuff from 80's to now. I have a G&L L2500 so I can switch to passive mode, if need be. Thanks!
  2. Unemploid

Unemploid

i have the mxr bass fuzz deluxe, i love it. if you wanna no more about it let me know, i'm done posting about it kn this site.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Just curious..why those three?
  4. Voss451

Voss451

A lot of people on here have been raving about the Joyo Ultimate Drive and at $40 (or so depending on where you look) it's probably a really good place to start.
  5. basslifter

basslifter

I find their tone the most appealing as compared to clips of others I have heard. I am not sure how to explain it other than to say I hear enhancement from these, while in others in this price range I hear noise.
  6. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

What about the Source Audio OFD? All the things you're considering and much much more. If you don't own any dirt pedals it will serve as a fantastic representation of most types.
  7. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

IMHO the TS9B is absolutely terrible....i get a better sound out of a TS808 designed for guitar

What are you going to be using this sound for?

you want light overdrive?
    In your Face Rip your head off Distortion?
    Or a wall a Creamy Fuzz Texture?

the M80 is a fairly Versatile DI (something i think every bass player should have in their arsenal) but I'm not a fan of the Distortion tone from that pedal...

The DLXBBM is a fairly good Fuzz....but fairly Tame by my Standards...
  8. basslifter

basslifter

Re: joyo....
    I like the price of course, but I would rather it be more bass-specific. I like the idea of being able to blend in some clean to help retain low-end.
  9. basslifter

basslifter

Yes, more of a lighter overdrive.....just to add a little grit and thickness. I was surprised that I liked the ehx muff deluxe as I dont really care for the regular muff, but as you sais, the deluxe is a bit tame and I believe it does di too.
    Thanks for your help
  10. Snakeman1066

for light overdrive i suggest you check out the Way Huge Pork Loin...it gets a lot of love around here and is very tweekable and bass friendly

But if you like the Tube Screamer..

I have had a great experience with the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive which is a Modified TS808 clone with a clean blend added...this works great for light overdrive...
  11. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Heavy Industry
    Another great Tubescreamer option is the Keeley Baked Mod TS-9. It sounds fantastic on bass!
  12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    +1.
    IMO, it's the best TS type OD for use with a bass.
  13. Alexio58

Alexio58

I'm using a germanium 4 big muff which is really more a tonebender MK3 (overdrive) and a tonebender MK2 (distortion) in one box. The overdrive section is clean, up till about half way, and adds this tube amp like texture to your sound. The distortion is just plain and full. A very versetaile pedal, actually a guitar pedal, but you can set it to treble distortion only and holding the bass still as it is.
    My recommandation!
  14. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Hows the low end on the sparkle drive?
  15. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

If you're about to grab a Deluxe Bass Muff, I have one for sale!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f213/...elux-big-bass-muff-90$-boss-oc-3-75$-1038140/
  16. Mortom27

Mortom27

I'm been using a Boss ODB-3 ($30 used) for the last year or so.
    I know is not a top of the line pedal but it does a great job
    I like the EQ section on it, it can get trebly without loosing your low end.
  17. Snakeman1066

If you run it without the blend you loose a little....but with the blend kicked in and the sizzle on top i haven't noticed any perceptible loss on the bottom end it's very transparent...you know clean sound with a little hair around the edges!!

I find it works great for finger style...but pick even more so for pick!! as it seems to react to dynamics

I'ts based on the vintage TS808 format, it includes the original JRC4558 opamp, but has been modded with metal resistors and polyester capacitors which creates a tighter midrange, a crisper high, and overall IMHO a far better capacity for note definition than the original 808. They have also added a clean boost channel which allows you to blend the clean signal with the overdrive circuit. This allows you to boost the direct clean signal which in turn restores the attack and feel which is usually lost in most pedals when the signal is compressed in the overdrive circuit. The boost claims to be a 15db boost, i have not measured this claim but i can tell you you notice a huge difference when its on and when its not...lol

yea i know it was designed for guitar...but for light overdrive...or that clean sound with hair around the edges IMHO it can't be beat...Can't go wrong with that multi-layered sound..

I have been wanting to try the newer Sparkle Drive MOD which has a rotary switch for the original sound as well as one for a tighter bass response...and one for more MID-range...and one for greater saturation...

But like my grandpa used to say if it ain't broke don't fix it
  18. basslifter

basslifter

Decided to go with the mxr m80 fwiw