1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First Parts Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BloodlessWar, Apr 2, 2014.

1. BloodlessWar

BloodlessWar

Sep 25, 2013
    So I've been thinking for awhile now about wanting to put together a relatively cheap parts bass this summer. I will likely be purchasing a yamaha ERB070 body and neck soon so that I can put these together to make my own bass in the future.

I am not sure yet whether to fit the bass with rounds or flats (the only strings I have ever personally bought were Chromes), and I've never replaced a bridge before, so I don't know what to look for in respect to bridges. In terms of pickups, I can only assume that Fender precision passive pickups would get me the sound I am looking for. Pickups are one area where I am willing to spend extra for a good sound if necessary. In terms of tuners, I guess I'll just get something cheap and functional.

One question I had was whether it would be possible to get a pickguard to fit this p bass copy which does not come standard with a pickguard. I've always liked the pickguard look, but I don't own any basses with one. I need to finish the body myself, so suggestions about how to make the body look unique are welcome.

I really just want this bass to be something that doesn't cost a fortune but will make me proud to say that I put it together myself.

I'm not entirely sure whether this belongs in the Luthier's Corner, but I didn't know where better to put it.