First Parts Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BloodlessWar, Apr 2, 2014.

1. BloodlessWar

BloodlessWar

So I've been thinking for awhile now about wanting to put together a relatively cheap parts bass this summer. I will likely be purchasing a yamaha ERB070 body and neck soon so that I can put these together to make my own bass in the future.

I am not sure yet whether to fit the bass with rounds or flats (the only strings I have ever personally bought were Chromes), and I've never replaced a bridge before, so I don't know what to look for in respect to bridges. In terms of pickups, I can only assume that Fender precision passive pickups would get me the sound I am looking for. Pickups are one area where I am willing to spend extra for a good sound if necessary. In terms of tuners, I guess I'll just get something cheap and functional.

One question I had was whether it would be possible to get a pickguard to fit this p bass copy which does not come standard with a pickguard. I've always liked the pickguard look, but I don't own any basses with one. I need to finish the body myself, so suggestions about how to make the body look unique are welcome.

I really just want this bass to be something that doesn't cost a fortune but will make me proud to say that I put it together myself.

I'm not entirely sure whether this belongs in the Luthier's Corner, but I didn't know where better to put it.