1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First pedal for live sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Low_Ryder, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Low_Ryder

Low_Ryder

Hi TB

I am interested in getting a pedal, with the idea that it will be for live sound. Mostly jamming with some folks I play with but I do a couple small gigs a year for fun.
    I'm totally new to effects, but I have an idea that I could clean up the sound and/or make a soundman's job easier if I used some kind of pedal. Mostly what I have in mind is a compressor, but I'm not sure.

My budget is pretty small. Definitely under $200 and hopefully a lot closer to $100. But I'm not necessarily looking for a specific pedal so much as advice on the type of pedal. Can anyone help out a pedal newbie?

2. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

A comp is a subtle thing. Personally I like higher end comps. I can't think of one I'd use that only cost $100.

For that kind of money, I'd be thinking subtle overdrive, or on the outside, a nice used envelope filter. There should be quite a few different opinions though.

3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Could you clarify what you mean by "clean up the sound"? What problem is it that you are attempting to solve?

4. wshines1892

wshines1892

Your own DI or mic would be your best bet. Most soundmen like a pre eq signal, but if you want the sound of your cab in there too you'd better bring your own mic to the gig because most soundmen won't have a capable bass mic on hand.

I know a DI isn't really an effect, but that brings me to my main point. In your range you could pick up a used Sansamp BDDI, which serves as a preamp an a DI. Also, if you want to experiment with different effects to find what you like, the Zoom B3 would be at the top of your budget, but is the best effects money I've ever spent. The B3 also has a DI of course, or can be used as a straight effects unit, or even a preamp into a power amp if you like your pre amp to be on the floor.

Compressor wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'm not too knowledgeable on what's good for cheap. The B3 has some very usable comps built into it, but I'm not hip to the standalone units. ovnilab.com should be able to help you in picking though!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Low_Ryder

Low_Ryder

Yeah that was pretty vague. What I'm thinking about is how I'm not always able to hear myself clearly during practice with the band. There's electric and acoustic guitar as well as vocals and drums. Stuff gets muddy. And I know that the knobs on my bass and amp can help with that but do other effects help too? And this one gig I play is a small coffee shop and I'm not even run through the PA. It gets boomy sometimes, and also just dynamic control is an issue. I know comps help with that, but also I tend to believe that my hands should handle that problem, but nobody's perfect. And I'm pretty mediocre.

7. jumblemind

Ah, well that sounds like EQ issues, and that's the result of a variety of factors, but for the most part your amp/speaker setup and the room you are in. For a house system, a sound guy would be running you through a DI box (or the DI out on your amp) so basically just getting a signal direct from your bass, so the soundguy wouldn't be dealing with the mud you are hearing. He would be addressing the room acoustics with his own EQ on the PA.

There are few options you have for your other gigs, though, including a dedicated EQ, a high pass filter, a drive pedal with a certain voicing, or maybe even just settings on your amp. Not sure a compressor would help you much. What is your bass and what amp/cabinet are you playing through?

8. the explode man

the explode man

9. bassclef216

bassclef216

I would suggest buying SansAmp 3 channel programmable bass DI. I got one and haven't looked back. It really cleans up the tone and makes your bass sound great. It comes with 3 pre-programmed channels (clean, Flip top, and distorted) but you are free to change them up to suit your taste (just use the factory settings). The owner's manual even has about 10 or more additional setting suggestions for various types of music you might play. It's simple to use and like I said, it sounds great. $200 new or about $150 -$175 used.

10. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

QFT

11. Low_Ryder

Low_Ryder

I play a Warwick FNA (not the Jazzman) into a Shuttle 6.0 and out an Avatar B210 with ceramics.

Maybe I just want someone to tell me it's OK to blow some money on more toys.

12. jumblemind

Haha, yeah, that's about a clean a rig as anyone would need. The Avatar does have a fair amount of low end, so there are still some room EQ things to check out.

If it were me, for a new toy I would get some kind of preamp pedal. That would give you new tone flavors to play with, limited EQ ability and maybe even some fun overdrive sounds. There are tons of flavors these days (including the sansamp mentioned above), so it just depends on what kind of sound you'd like to try out.

13. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

More toys are always fun!

The DI off of your Shuttle is excellent. They're compared to a Countryman Type 85 which has been an industry standard DI for years and years and years.

14. jefkritz

jefkritz

A compressor would be good. A DI is pretty essential. Something like the zoom b3 is great for learning about what sorts of effects you like.

But it sounds like your main problem is EQing. It may sound silly, but if you're boomy, turn down the bass knob on your amp's EQ. I often play gigs with my bass EQ knob cut to 3 (3/10, not 3 o'clock). I like a nice bassy sound, but in a boomy room, no matter how much you cut your bass EQ, you'll get enough bass frequencies.

And mids are your friend if you're trying to cut through a mix. Bass frequencies are good to own a mix, but if you want to cut through a mix, you need to boost your mids.

15. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

boom issues? time for an HPF. not a fun pedal, but functional.

comp will help with dynamics and punch.

a fuzz/od/dist/dirt box will comp your signal as a byproduct of overdrive. this characteristic will, of course, vary by pedal. a fuzz box can also bring some built in EQ function. just because the gain goes all the way up, there is no need to use it all. the right settings will help you poke through. the wrong ones will bring in more mud.

16. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Get a MFX pedal such as Line6 M5 or Zoom Multistomp so you can try out a compressor and other stuff. Once you know what you need like you can start getting dedicated pedals.

17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Nothing wrong with the DI in the Shuttle.

You need to learn to EQ. Your band needs to learn to EQ cooperatively.

Your rig should be fine as is on coffeeshop level gigs. Put it up on a chair to hear it better. As money is tight, keep saving for a second 210, you'll need it soon enough. 2nd cab gives you a lot of headroom to play very dynamically, which is very exciting to listen to.

18. monsterthompson

multi-pedal is a good idea.

the Pandora Stomp is only $130. i have experience with it, but it seems to be generating positive buzz.

also, with that 210 cab, be sure to stand it so the drivers are vertical. horizontal woofer/driver is a known no-no on TB. vert will get it closer to your ears and help with dispersion of the sound. coupling with the floor can give you boom, so the smaller footprint will boom less, and if you get it off the ground, even less.

19. monsterthompson

i find key/synth players, in bands i've been in, use patches which are bass heavy. i go for more mids in those settings. however, sometimes, they still need to cut the bass on their sound.

20. jumblemind

+1

21. Low_Ryder

Low_Ryder

Thanks for the tips folks. I have been thinking of getting another 210 but with the amount of playing I do it's just hard to justify it. And I'm down with the vertical stacking, since I searched the forum like crazy a few years back when I upgraded my rig.

So I think what I'm reading is that pedals aren't going to help with any live sound issues so much as getting good at EQ. I admit it's still something I'm working on. The pedals would be more to modify my tone into something that I like. And I do like some of the vids I've watched with the different comp pedals and overdrive pedals.