1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

First pedal tuner?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Feb 2, 2013.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I'm looking to buy my first pedal tuner. I've been using a small Seiko chromatic tuner but I'm looking for something I can leave plugged in. I want to have the tuner out plugged into my amp at all times and just plug my bass into the tuner when I'm ready to play. Obviously AC power is required and overall usability without losing sound quality when the tuner is off are important. Your suggestions?

2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

3. klejst

klejst

4. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Hands down, Korg Pitchblack.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BigDBass

BigDBass PWIYB! Supporting Member

Media:
    I used Arion Stage Tuners for many years. Recently moved to Korg Pitchblack as it seemed sufficiently small and reasonably priced. Also I just typed on this iPad onscreen keyboard in perfect time with a neat triplet run i played on the recording of rehearsal from this afternoon and I've had a couple beers since I got home in case anyone is wondering.

7. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

I'd say Korg Pitchblack Plus

Buy your last pedal tuner first. I thought my Snark was something when it came to tuning my bass, but it never sounded near as in tune as it does with the Pitchblack plus.

Other options....

The "gold standard" of pedal tuners is the Peterson Strobostomp. The Sonic Research Turbo Tuner gets a lot of love as well.

8. Jazz4

Jazz4

I have both the Pitchblack and the Polytune. Both are great tuners IMO. I find myself using the Polytune the most though.

9. Bassist96

Bassist96

The boss tuner is absolutely perfect for what you need, it does all that

10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Polytune, pitchblack or boss tu3. You can't go wrong with either of those industry standards.

11. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

I love my pitch black mainly because I can leave a 9v in it, AND leave it plugged in (input) without draining the batteries.

12. Jack

Jack

Pitchblack. Hands down.

13. krstko

krstko

I'd go with either Boss or TCE .. I just don't like Pitchblack, don't know why but I have this wierd feeling about them ..

14. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Snark SN-10 chromatic tuner. If you get it from Amazon, search around a little and you'll find it for about half price of all of those other ones.

15. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I have a TU2 I use with my guitar rig, Works great. My bass rig has a Berhinger rack tuner. Works ok but its slow and will be replaced by a Korg at some point.

16. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Sonic research turbo tuner the most accurate tuner out there and faster than the strobostomp. The Polytune and Pitch Black are also very good tuners(I have used both), But I will never switch from my Turbo Tuner.

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

I have used a TU-3 for a couple of years. I play classic rock with a few drop D songs. It works pretty quickly and the strobe feature works better than just up/down arrows.

18. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

Stupid response here, but I assume any of the main tuners mentioned here simply let the signal from the bass thru to the amp when they're not on and I can just push down the "button" to turn the tuning on?

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I have been using my TU-2 for years with no complaints or issues. Are there better tuners? Absolutely. Will this one do everything you need it to? Absolutely.

Use the search feature. This topic has been covered here a million times.

20. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

I've had a pitch black and a boss TU2. The pitch black is easier to see, more accurate and has true bypass so it does not effect your signal when off. Both of them can mute your signal when you are tuning and pass the signal to the amp when you are playing at the tap of the button. I only use the pitch black now. Oh yeah the pitch black is much quicker to pick up the b string. The TU2 takes a while to lock on to the B.

My suggestion is the pitch black

21. lowendmetal

lowendmetal Supporting Member

I use my tu-2 in the fx loop of my shuttle 9. Click, tune, off, its perfect, and it tracks my 5 string tuned to A standard