First Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LightForce104, Mar 30, 2014.

1. LightForce104

LightForce104

Hey y'all, it's time for that.

I want to buy my first pedal(s), but I have no clue what to get. I play a bunch of songs from Nirvana, the Foo Fighters, America, the Beatles, Two Door Cinema Club, and many more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. topo morto

topo morto

Zoom ms60B.
  3. Steveaux

Steveaux

4. topo morto

topo morto

Ms60b has a tuner included... as does any other multi-FX I know of...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

+1 to a mutifx unit. Include some links to examples of what sounds you want so we could give some specific examples and recomendations. A multifx unit is great so you can figure out which sounds you like so you could upgrade in the future to something with a little more control that's better sounding.
  7. bassbrad

bassbrad

I would suggest some multieffects pedal, imo it's hard to beat the Zoom B3.
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I too recommend a tuner as your first petal. The KORG Pitchblack is good, and I love my tiny TC Electronics Polytune "Mini" tuner, it doesn't have a battery, but the full size Polytune does, and the Sonic Research Turbo tuner cost a little more, but its more accurate too - which makes it better for doing bass setups, but IMO, its to slow for quick live tuning. Here's a link to my http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/tuner-1038281/ thread - it has a Poll too.

Second petal: Xotic EP Booster. The EP petal is clean and super powerful... and its really tiny in size too.

PS: Checkout my new 2014 tiny all "Nano" petal board that I just recently finished building http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=402404&d=1395629744 I also flipped the patch between the tuner and booster and spaced them better, so it looks better now too. My second all "Nano" petal board that I'm currently gathering together will have all my whoopee effects - IE: overdrive, chorus, flanger, octave, delay, etc - and I might move the Ditto over to the second board and maybe put a Mooer DI box in its place on the first board (but I'm not sure yet).

BTW: If you decide to go with a multi-effects box instead - I've never used the B3 myself, but the Zoom B3 is regularly highly recommend by TBers.

Cheers
  9. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1 On the B3 or 60B

If you do not want a multi-fx, just get a nice overdrive. You may as well start the endless overdrive quest right off the bat.
  10. topo morto

topo morto

Totally agree! ;) I think the B3 and Ms60b (which is basically the same thing in a smaller box) do have nice drives though (unlike some digital effects of the past) so they could even be a starting point there, too...
  11. nshuman

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh, another great first pedal would be the SourceAudio SB2 OFD. That thing will give you so many drive/distortion choices, and, as much as I liked the B3/MS-60B, the OFD is in a completely different league. That would be an amazing choice if you are looking at drive options.
  12. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

I like my Line6 M5, but any of the other already-mentioned MFX pedals are excellent suggestions, too, for a first pedal.
  13. topo morto

topo morto

...which is why it's a real shame it only has 2 presets!
  14. nshuman

Media:
    Albums:

Not if you have the midi Hub :)
  15. topo morto

topo morto

Which comes free, I suppose? :bag:
  16. nshuman

Media:
    Albums:
    OFD + Hub + Midi Controller + Midi Cable = thousands of dollars saved on other pedals :)
  17. topo morto

topo morto

well maybe, but not as much as you'd save without having to have all those +s!
  18. Michedelic

Michedelic

A tuner should not count as a 'pedal'; it is a tool to keep in tune and does not alter, color, or enhance your bass signal in a creative way. The advantage to a tuner in a pedal format(as opposed to clip-on or something at the amp)is that it can be a mute button, and possibly power a few(but not too many)actual effects pedals. To start out with, yes, an affordable multi-FX is a great place to start so that you can experience the potential of several different things. Not all will be to your liking, of course, and with even the effects that you DO like, there will probably be better versions with better controls on stand-alone units by different manufacturers. Once you outgrow the multi, that's when the real fun(and loss of expendable income)begins. If you do just want to start out getting them one-by-one, by the bands you mentioned, a chorus pedal is probably the best choice for now. Depending on your amp, you can get dirt/grit/distortion from your amp, at least until you can spring for a buzz pedal. I personally don't understand why distortion for bass is such a big deal these days; yeah, it's certainly part of the sonic pallet, and I have plenty of such boxes myself, but I think as you start out with this stuff, a chorus is going to be much more useful. Buy as much as you can used, or borrow it.
  19. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

+1 on a Zoom B3. Just about every basic effect you would ever want and lots of fun to play around with!
  20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1 Yep. A tuner doesn't count as an effect - but it does count as a petal... unless its a clip-on or pocket type tuner of course.