First pedalboard - some pointers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by el murdoque, Dec 20, 2013.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Ho ho ho!

So i've done it, just placed an order and should recieve some pedals after Xmas. Enough to start a Pedalboard.

Now i need some pointers from the more experienced guys.
    The Pedals will be:
    -Korg Pitch Black Tuner
    -Aguilar TLC Compressor
    -Aguilar Agro
    -MI Audio Blueboy deluxe OD

The Board will be DiY and i plan to add a patchbox for connecting
    and a powerplant for powering the whole train.

So, before i start, the first questions that came up are:
    Should i move the tuner out of the signal chain? I could get a Pachtbox with an A/B switch instead of one that only has the input jacks, moving the tuner to B and the rest of the chain to A.
    If not, where to place the tuner? I suspect at the beginning of the line?
    The Agro will serve for higher gain OD while the blueboy will provide a little grit. So the lower Gain OD comes before the higher Gain ?

Are there any typical mistakes i can omit when building my first board (apart from not making it big enough) ?

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

I suggest getting the pancake style patch cables. they are smaller and easier to stuff more pedals on the board. I put my tuner last in my setup. that way the tuner can also serve as a mute and cut all sound.

3. Jens Busck

Jens Busck

The tuner can go first or last - tracking will probably be a little better if it goes first, but as Spaz writes, it will mute the whole board if last (also the noise from engaged OD's). But it doesn't matter much with so few pedals, and splitting the signal is IMO totally unnecessary.

As to OD before compression or compression before OD there is no right or wrong way of doing things. You have to try it out and see what works for you. I prefer comp to go after OD (unless it's an exceptionally dynamic OD like a Darkglass B3K), but it's up to you.

Only thing I'sd like to ad is that it's smart to have a buffer on the board if you play a passive bass. If the comp or an OD are always on it's fine, but if you only use them occasionally, you might want to make sure that at least one of the pedals are buffered (=not true bypass). This will help preserving the signal on it's way to the amp/DI.

Good luck with your board!

4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

• As stated, don't worry about splitting off your tuner. The Korg is made to be used inline.
    • With this simple chain you can put the tuner anywhere and be fine. There are various reasons for putting it first or last, but with what you have going on, it doesn't matter. Whatever looks good or fits best with the other pedals.
    • Placement of OD's (and fuzzes) really depends on how well those individual pedals handle being driven by others. Some sound great when pushed with another drive while some get unusably clippy, so you just need to experiment to see what sounds best for your needs. That assumes that you plan on using them together...if you'll only be using one effect at a time, placement doesn't matter.

• Don't know what you mean by "power plant", but make sure you have the right power, something made specifically for powering effects pedals.
    • Not necessarily a mistake, but don't go cheap on cables. The Hosa "pancake" style are decent and a good suggestion.

5. Register to disable this ad