1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First post. some questions about six string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackcatbones, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Blackcatbones

Blackcatbones

Years ago I got my first bass. I was REALLY attached too it for about a year but then I lost interest. I found five string bass too restrictive. I am looking for bass that can be played like a standard guitar for variety. I saw a six string the other day playing the sound I have been looking for. I was wondering if six string bass has the same finger and note poaitions as a guitar and how close to lead guitar style can a person play on a six bass? Thanks!
  2. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

A 6 is tuned in all 4ths. A guitar has a 3rd between the 4th and 5th strings, so the Fingerings will be different. You could tune it like that if you want I guess.
  3. MelodicExp

MelodicExp

a 6 string is tuned to standard B- BEADGC. but playing lead licks has more to do with skill then how many strings you have, look up victor wooten. he plays a 4 string most of the time but he can make it sing man. good luck
  4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

There are 6 string basses tuned like a guitar, usually called a bass VI. The majority of modern 6'ers, however are tuned in 4th's. And +1 to skill being your only limitation. Play what you want to play, but don't assume you need a certain type of bass to be able to do that. Just practice! :) BTW, I own an Ibanez 6'er and I love it.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

What you are looking for is a baritone style 6 string bass.
    It is basically a big guitar tuned one octave lower.
    Common models are:
    Danelectro 6 string bass
    Fender VI
    MusicMan Silhouette
  6. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

schecter makes a model (or used to make one) as well, I believe called the Hellcat.
  7. bassteban

bassteban

You could also string a sixer piccolo- in fact, w/the variety of string gauges available nowadays, there's almost no limit.