First post. some questions about six string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackcatbones, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Blackcatbones

Blackcatbones

Years ago I got my first bass. I was REALLY attached too it for about a year but then I lost interest. I found five string bass too restrictive. I am looking for bass that can be played like a standard guitar for variety. I saw a six string the other day playing the sound I have been looking for. I was wondering if six string bass has the same finger and note poaitions as a guitar and how close to lead guitar style can a person play on a six bass? Thanks!

2. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

A 6 is tuned in all 4ths. A guitar has a 3rd between the 4th and 5th strings, so the Fingerings will be different. You could tune it like that if you want I guess.

3. MelodicExp

MelodicExp

a 6 string is tuned to standard B- BEADGC. but playing lead licks has more to do with skill then how many strings you have, look up victor wooten. he plays a 4 string most of the time but he can make it sing man. good luck

4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

There are 6 string basses tuned like a guitar, usually called a bass VI. The majority of modern 6'ers, however are tuned in 4th's. And +1 to skill being your only limitation. Play what you want to play, but don't assume you need a certain type of bass to be able to do that. Just practice! :) BTW, I own an Ibanez 6'er and I love it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

What you are looking for is a baritone style 6 string bass.
    It is basically a big guitar tuned one octave lower.
    Common models are:
    Danelectro 6 string bass
    Fender VI
    MusicMan Silhouette

7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

schecter makes a model (or used to make one) as well, I believe called the Hellcat.

8. bassteban

bassteban

You could also string a sixer piccolo- in fact, w/the variety of string gauges available nowadays, there's almost no limit.