1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First practice-gig bass amplifier. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ask Doug Johns' started by nygreekkid93, Apr 17, 2012.

1. nygreekkid93

nygreekkid93

I have a Fender Jazz bass witch I about from GC for 499$. I use guitar rig right now for an amp until I get real amplifier for my bass. I want a good practice bass that I could also use for a relatively small gig ( and I don't know how many watts are needed). They are many option out there and I'm confused. Because I'm new to the bass world I don't know what brand to buy ?

I know that Ampeg is one of the best brands out there but I've heard that their new gear is not as good as the old. I was thinking about the Ampeg BA 108 (25 watts). I also like Markbass but too expensive for what I need. Is there any suggestions.

I consider:
    -portability (lightweight and small)
    -durability
    -loudness
    -tone (everybody wants a sound close to what plays in there head)
    -budget (I'm willing to spend a good amount of money For practive-gig bass. Top 150$. If there is something more expensive but really worth the money I'll go for it)

2. waleross

waleross

25 watts might not be enough for much but, I say go to gC and see what they have in the used amp dept. ......:)

3. TNcaveman

TNcaveman

I would look for a good used amp - CraigsList here in Nashville is loaded with stuff for sale. I'd go with a Gallien-Krueger combo. The backline stuff is pretty dern good for the money. SWR Workingman combos are pretty reasonably price used also.

The new GK 112 combos are around $340 new at GC - 200 watts but no speaker outputs (could easily be added though).

Stephen