1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First Real Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hydraone, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Hydraone

Hydraone

Hey everyone,GK 400RB and Acoustic B410

Yesterday I picked up a GK 400RB and Acoustic B410 to begin my first bass rig since converting from guitar.

Today I decided to have a look at some bass guitars to replace the Affinity P-Bass I was borrowing.

I went back and forth between this and the MM SUB Stingray, but eventually decided I preferred the single coil sound of the Squier Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Family Photo
    [​IMG]

Now, I've been playing guitar a good while. I may be a bass noob, but I know my way around a 6 string. I know a quality instrument when I see it, and this Squier, Indonesian made or not, is rock solid. All the tolerances are tight, I can't slip a business card into the neck pocket anywhere.

The finish is almost flawless. A couple hiccups here and there, but nothing that will bug me. The neck is bare wood, not even a satin I don't think. It feels great now. We'll see down the road if it leads to discoloration or instability. The body is all maple, with quite excellent grain patterns. It's a two piece body, with the seam almost completely invisible from the front.

I don't really have an ear for bass tone yet, but I think the pickups sound good. Lots of tonal versatility by mixing the two pickups. From warm and thuddy to cutting and firey, I can dial it up.

Downsides, well, the maple body makes it very, very heavy. The neck has some dark spots on it already, probably due to it's unfinished nature. From what I can tell, the bindings and inlays are painted on rather than actually inlaid. Being that it's black, I'm not really bothered by this unless it starts to wear off.

In any case, I'm very happy with it. Squier has come a long way in producing instruments that you can be proud of, and this is a great example.

And at $200 out the door, it's incredible bang for the buck.

Cheers!
  2. aus_bass

aus_bass

Congrats. You made a solid choice. The VM Squiers are great bang for the buck. The CV Squiers even more so.
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320

Nothin' more to say

You know what you're talkin' about

Congrats for your find

Cheers,
    Wallace