First run of Peavey Cirrus basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris G, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Chris G

Chris G

I was 15 and working at my local music store when Peavey brought out the Cirrus bass. Even at that age I knew that Peavey wasn't a high quality name so I fluffed it off as a poor attempt to make a bass that someone would actually want to play. I remember I didn't dislike it, it just didn't "wow" me, (and it didn't say Fender!).

Now, almost double that age, I find myself digging deeper into the quest for tone and just to have nice gear. I have owned many nice basses from American Deluxe Fender Jazzes to P-Basses, to Musicman Bongo's and much more so I know what a quality instrument feels like.

Recently, my mind keeps wandering to the Peavey Cirrus, I have played a new one and it doesn't have the same feel as the first run. I can't tell if I'm just getting nostalgic or there really was something special about the early Cirrus'. If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very greatful.

-Chris G
    "Keep the rock in your socks."

2. spade2you

spade2you

My first was a '98 and my newest is an '06. I had many in between and didn't notice any significant difference between them. They seemed to sound consistent, depending on wood configuration. They all were petty consistent with action and setup, too. Some might play slightly better than others, but nothing really significant.

3. obimark

obimark

I recently owned a nice neck thru Cirrus 4-string, BEAUTIFUL bass, good sound, played real nice.

The only issue I had is the neck length threw me off big time when I switched back to my P-basses. I mean really threw me, so I had to give it up. ALso DID not care for the 2 battery setup either at all. Just IME.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

There are really three Cirrus lines, I think. USA, Indonesia, and China. Many here don't think much of the Chinese BXP's. Maybe the newer one you played was a BXP and the first one a USA model?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chris G

Chris G

I dont mind the 2 9v system, I am a huge active bass freak. I guess I'm a little dissapointed if they haven't changed. I might give them another try.

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Peavey has always been a high quality name. All of their US models meet and usually exceed the level of quality of all the major US manufacturers. I can guarantee you that you won't find the quality flaws present in 1970's Fender and Gibson production on any Peavey instrument from any time period. Peavey is a far more innovative company than Fender and Gibson, and has made much higher end/sophisticated bass models than either of those companies.

Peavey's image has always been that of making affordable quality instruments, especially early on. That image has caused people who don't really know what Peavey is all about to dismiss them. But I can think of at least 1/2 dozen Peavey basses that, IMO, are better than anything any of the major US manufacturers have ever put out.

8. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

^^^ So True !! Well Said

9. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

True, the older US brands (Gibson & Fender) are trapped in their own legend, those designs are 50 years old, with no flaw correction.

10. lostrings

lostrings

I totally agree that Peavey is a major quality company. I have used their gear over the years with not one complaint, something that I can't say about other major company's.

11. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Just like FENDER is overvalued, PEAVEY is undervalued!

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

So true!

13. Wallace320

Wallace320

True to me as well
    +1

Cheers,
    Wallace

Ps: and I happen to love their amps and cabs too

14. viper4000

viper4000

I'll chime to echo much of what has been said.

I too looked at Peavey as entry level gear that would be around forever. I also took the impression that they were less quality, primarily because every time I turned a knob on the amps, they crackled! LOL. I later learned that was because of poor upkeep, not due to the quality of the item.

I saw the USA Cirrus line somewhere and had to play one. So the first used one I saw, I drove over two hours just to put it in my hands. 5 minutes later I was driving home with my new Cirrus 5'er.

The 35 scale is a personal preference, some can deal with it, some cannot. I personally do not have an issue. Since it is a 5'er, I do not play in first position all that often, so the scale length doesn't hinder me at all.

I feel the neck, tone and craftmanship is where the money is in this bass. The tone is very clear, and the 2 9 volts help with that in my opinion. I like how hot it is, as it allows me to really sculpt my tone for the need at hand. It is good at mimicking other classic sounds (i.e. P, J, etc). Other don't feel that way, but I was pulling off good lines in my cover band. I have an old USA P with Barts, and the Cirrus matches it note for note. I also have a PJ and it matches the J side pretty darn well.

The neck is thin compared to a P 5'er or my G&L L2500. It is not symmetrical, and I think it provides a more natural fit in my left hand. I don't have very much fatigue after playing 4-5 hours gigs. When I was playing my G&L or P for that long, there were issues.

The quality of these things are second to none. Well maybe not a CT or Fodera. But man, the fit and finish are superb. I have the one with the Bubinga top. Call it a coffee table if you wish, but I call it gorgeous! The 5 piece is nice and smooth, and you do not feel the edges of the runners when playing, which would be distracting. Again, you be hard pressed to find better quality in a used instrument.

I think they're great underrated instruments, and you can find used ones at pretty darn good prices. I got mine for $550 used about 4 years ago. It is an early 2000's model. This might be a little low today, but deals are out there. There's also a lot of love for T40's and Fury's.

Good luck. Not every bass is for everyone, you have to play it to know.

15. tshac

tshac

Love my 02 Cirrus 5!!:bassist:

16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I still miss my USA Cirrus 5 and 4. The 35 scale was just too much for my old hands. The 5 especially was just super amazing in feel and sound. You could see the faces light up on everyone that held and played it. The buyer was so happy he was just floating when he carried it home.

Meanwhile, I agree 110% with above comments. The Peavey instruments are incredible values. I have 2 Furys and 2 Foundations and will keep looking for more Peaveys. Even though I have some terrific Fender basses, I end up playing the Peaveys.

BTW - I met with Hartley Peavey at NAMM and mentioned to him that much of the bass player world would love it if the Foundations and Furys were available again.

17. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

I have a Cirrus BXP (Indonesia) that I really love. Great neck, very comfortable body, and very wide-ranging tonally. It sounds pretty much like the US version (wish it had the sweepable mid), and the fit and finish isn't too bad; a little heavy on the finish where the body meets the neck, and the tuners could be aligned better. My dream Cirrus is the rosewood US model, and one day one will be mine. The only thing I wish the Cirrus line had is a passive switch in case the batteries die at an inopportune moment. Just won an old Patriot, can't wait for it to arrive!

18. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

There WERE some differences between the early ones and the later ones. Somebody in one of the Peavey threads posted a picture in the last month or so showing an old and a newer Cirrus side by side and you could clearly see a slightly different body shape. That said, I don't know of any difference in the electronics (other than some have the Cirrus preamp and some have the Millennium preamp, which has sweepable mids - and I think early ones were 9V and later ones 18V (maybe?)). And I don't know if there was a difference in neck profiles, but I have seem other posts that suggest that the neck profile did change a bit over the years. Getting either a little thinner or a little thicker - I can't remember which way it supposedly went.

If you really want to know, post the question in the Peavey Cirrus owner's thread to ensure all the really knowledgeable Peaveyheads see it.