1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First shot with flats. Bought Chromes for my Ray35.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by therhodeo, Dec 31, 2013.

1. therhodeo

therhodeo

Already have other basses with rounds so I thought I'd change it up with this new bass. Should I just stretch them like I do my rounds?
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Strech them?
  3. Precision101

Precision101

Do the strings feel too high tension? I've never heard of stretching strings out? I just know it wrecks the tone.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

After installation, all strings will stretch a bit. You can always tug on them, but you're not going to get all the stretch out in a day or two no matter what you do. Just make sure to install them correctly, get the wraps on the right place on the tuning posts, and enjoy. Tune as needed.
  5. liveburning274

liveburning274

Let me know how you like them. I have a Ray35 too and went with Sadowsky's for mine. But I was always curious about the Chromes for how much love they get on here.
  6. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

I put Chromes on my p bass about six months ago. I did just like any other string, put 'em on and played the crap out of them. Re-tune when necessary but I do a witness point of the strings, particularly the e string, at the bridge. And let me tell you, Chromes are not the flats of old. They sound like worn in rounds out of the package and are just now entering what I would call that "flat sound". They are nice for a change but I still don't think they are the "do anything string" that some people here claim. I'm still glad I've got a jazz with rounds. And this not a bash on D'Addario as my jazz wears XL's.
  7. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

What I don't underestand... when I am out and see bass players I never see flats. When I go to the music store they have a WAY bigger selection of rounds than flats. Then I come here and witness the flat love afare.

That being said I play TI flats.
  8. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Love Chromes.

I have them on my Precision and my Masterman
  9. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Are you a converted guitar player by chance?
    Stretching strings is a common practice by guitar players to shorten the new string tuning instability issue. Chromes are stiff and would be difficult to effectively stretch-just do what the others said...play them a lot and retune as needed.
  10. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

If I had one bass, I'd use rounds. Since I have a variety of bases, I want a variety of tones, so a few are string with flats. Love chromes on my jazz.
  11. Precision101

Precision101

I wanted to try chromes but i can't seem to find any low tension flats. And I mean really low tension! I use a 30-85 gauge in rotosound swing basses.
  12. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

^
    Try TI's. Awesome sound and very low tension.

EDIT: The light gauge of chromes is close to the tension of TI's, but the chromes are still more stiff.

Good Luck!
  13. Precision101

Precision101

I would try TI's but I need to find a job first:D I know there amazing flats though.
  14. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Keep an eye on the classifieds here, i see sets show up from time to time at half the cost of new...
  15. Precision101

Precision101

16. therhodeo

therhodeo

Bass player first but picked up the habit from 6 string. Basically I fret each string from frets 1-12 while giving it a tug just slightly more than if I was plucking while slapping. Nothing remotely like the guy from that video in the other thread.
  17. therhodeo

therhodeo

Any idea why they include a 65 instead of a 60 which would be alot closer match tension wise.
  18. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

I don't stretch strings but do push them down over the break angles. Basically make sure it's an even angle at each bridge saddle and at the tuners. Not sure if that makes sense. Afternoon home brews!:D