1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First single from Paramore Album!

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by MonsterBass101, Jan 22, 2013.

1. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101 Supporting Member

This song was released yesterday, and honestly I'm stoked. I'll let people form their own opinions though.

New Single "Now"

Fantastic work Justin! Can't wait for the album to be released.
  2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Good song.
  3. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

I was wondering when Paramore would put out a new album. Riot was great, and if this single is any indication, the new album should be pretty good as well. :D
  4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Wow! 80s KROQ lives! :D
  5. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    Um… More, please? :^)

And THAT DRUM SOUND.

I really like that this tune is slammin’ (as in making me excited to rock out) but isn’t CLA-style slammed like so many other mixes in this genre of music. I do love the work of those three letters, don’t get me wrong, but this is more appealing to me.
  6. christoph h.

christoph h.

What I find really interesting is that I've only heard JMJ playing bass (with Beck, Ima Robot and NIN, on CDs and DVDs) and still I find the sound aesthetic of the Paramore album very recognizable "JMJ". I heard it and thought: "Yes, I can imagine that he wants things to sound like that"... So let's just hope je doesn't come in here to tell us: "That's the one track on the album I didn't produce, it was actually done by Donald Fagen." :)
  7. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    That was quite belly-laugh inducing… :D
  8. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Heavy Industry
    Wow, audible bass on a Paramore song!
  9. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Glad you guys like it! Yeah, I produced the whole record. Donald Fagen was thankfully not allowed in the building.

J
  10. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan Supporting Member

Take a listen to All We Know is Falling if you get a chance. Some really solid bass in the tracks that weren't hits. Check out "Fences" on Riot! as well. If you don't think that's a catchy diddy, I don't know what is.

We love it Justin. Hope the rest of the album is as good. Can you give us any details on Jeremy's recording process? Sounded like a Precision into a modern SVT. What was the source of the overdrive? Anything interesting going on in the chain? Can you tell us if the 5 string Stingray makes a return on this album? That was always his best tone.
  11. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

So stoked for the whole album. I actually think (other than Misery Business) - they typically have great bass sounds.
  12. cewillm

Yep. AWKIF actually has some really neat sounds but I don't think Jeremy wrote all of the songs (I think John Hembree gets credit on some of them, my early Paramore history is a little rough. It was a confusing time with lots of member changes). Their first album came out when I was a junior in high school and I always thought they had a lot more talent than they got credit for. In a way I think they were branded wrong and got pushed in the incorrect direction being on Fueled by Ramen and putting out Riot! They could have been a cool indie band with a more mature audience. In a way I am hoping the new album is significantly different and maybe this could happen. I think dropping the teeniebopper Twilight thing would be a good thing to do about now.

I listened to Now on the way home and decided that I don't like the guitar in the chorus at all. It's too heavy and sounds kind of cheap. Very pop-punk and sort of working in the opposite direction of the rest of the song. But it's a really nice change of direction for a band that I think needs to adopt a more mature and musically sophisticated fan base.
  13. jmjbassplayer

I've scheduled a guitar session and a mix recall.
  14. Jungy

Jungy

Why stop there. I don't like the tempo either. Best to start again. :)
  15. mandohack

mandohack Supporting Member

Any chance the album will be released in a lossless 192/24 format?
  16. jmjbassplayer

I don't believe so, though I certainly recorded it at a fairly high res.
  17. christoph h.

christoph h.

And get Donald Fagen this time!
  18. jmjbassplayer

Yeah, starting over, new tempo, new guitars, new mix, and Donald Fagen. Check. Anybody else?
  19. cewillm

I guess that was sarcasm, huh? I was only sharing my opinion.
  20. christoph h.

christoph h.

Of course, and there's no problem with it. It's fine if you don't like something. At least from me, no disrespect intended.