First Thread: I blew a GK RBX Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Aende, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Aende

Aende

Hi All,

First post, so, treat me gently....

I have a GK RBX 410, which has given me many years of reliable service. Unfortunately, I have had a speaker let go; it appears that the coil has lost control of the cone, i.e. the movement is way more than it should be for the given volume compared to the other speakers. I use a GK 1001RB ii head and the bi-amp function.

As such, I went to the UK GK distributor for a replacement speaker; cue the problem...

The part number: 082-0460-A (Paragon 32 ohm 200W 10" driver) is not available anymore and the recommended replacement is part number 082-0470-B (Neo 32 ohm 200w).

My problem is 2 fold;

1, the Neo speaker appears to have a different range and bandwidth to the original paragon speaker - see the neo 410 cabinet specs

2, The Neo speaker is more expensive than the RBH speaker of the same specification ($139 for the Neo and $129 for the RBH)

The RBX cab is ~4 or 5 years old. The original OEM speaker has already gone out of support and availability within 5 years, I cannot get a reasonably priced replacement that is exactly the same spec as the others.....

What gives Gallien Krueger? 5 years old and completely out of support for the OEM parts?

I have ordered and fitted RBH speaker (the eminence designed one) as at least it fits in with the range of the OEM speakers and is cheaper than the NEO - I am also aware that the RBH range is very long lived, wonder how long before the Neo specs change and parts again become unavailable.

The only problem is that the grill touches the cork edging to the speaker - I will mount the grill on rubber gromits to move it away.

I am now considering replacing all the speakers with Eminence B810 or the RBH speakers.....at considerable cost, just so that the cabinet remains balanced. I loved the tone of it and fear it now being ruined by the fact that it is out of support so quickly.

General question; How long would you expect your bass gear to remain in support from your manufacturer with part availability?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good question. I would expect longer than 5 years, but if they sell through the old parts, not much you can do about it.

If I were you I'd get the original speaker reconed. www.speakerrepair.com has pretty good prices on it.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Your distributor may be incorrect, In stock for immediate shipment http://secure.netsolhost.com/272252...e=GS&Product_Code=082-0017-D&Category_Code=S8.
    The part number may have changed.

I don't know how the relationship has changed with Eminence after G-K started making their own NEO speakers. The buy quantity may be too high for G-K to justify making an order for the original OEM? G-K is a single factory in California and not part of a huge corporation.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Fine job B-String. The right speaker at a better price!

:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, hope it helps the OP. The RBX was a short lived line, they didn't sell all that well and disappeared pretty quick.

7. Aende

Aende

Hiya,

Unfortunately, it is the 200w version I need - Which is $129. I am in the UK, GK won't ship directly to the UK, and the UK distributor wants an astronomical price for the NEO replacement....equating to nearly $200 when converted from UK Sterling.

The RBH driver is cheaper by far and is definitely made by Eminence - this is around $150 in the UK.

I got a mail from GK support when I asked if they had anything spare, the mail says that the NEO is the supported replacement speaker, but will change the tone of the cabinet.

So, buying an RBX cab was a bad move, the line is very short lived and completely out of supportable stock if you want to keep the same tone.

I think the only way to get near is to replace with RBH drivers and mod the cabinet grill.....or buy a new cabinet!