First time buyer looking for opinions on prices and same models

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lets_go, Jan 8, 2014.

1. lets_go

lets_go

First of all great site, been searching and reading like crazy.
    Second, I have been playing fretted instruments for over 30 years and recently getting into rockabilly, older county style and want to purchase a stand up double.
    The following is whats ive found listed in my area and was curious what you all think of the names and prices. I know nothing about these type of basses.

Yes I have gone to my local music shop and played a few they had there, was fun. Was even better when the guy said how long you been playing stand up, and i said oh about 15 minutes, lol

Strunal Dvorak 50/1 3/4 $ 1000
    Stentnor Rockabilly Model: #ST1950L 3/4 OF $ 850
    Prima by Violmaster $ 600
    palatino 3/4 size upright bass - $600
    Karl Knilling 3/4 $ 1000
    Engelhardt EM1 $ 850

Menzel ply bass. Fingerboard is off a late 1800's German flatback as is the tailpiece off a 1900 French $750

Any info would be great. I realize all the normal things to look at such as repairs, overall condition and such.
  2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Welcome! :)

Some on your list is pure junk and some has the potential to be decent. The devil will be in the details. The condition, health, set-up, etc. on each will make all the difference. Without that information, no one can give you much of an informed opinion.

You may find THIS helpful. It's packed with helpful tips and advice.
  3. lets_go

lets_go

OK, well which are the pure junk so i can at least not waste my time looking at them ones
  4. ryanrydell

ryanrydell

If your serious about the knilling basses. There's a guy that advertises on Craig's list, he sells knillling hybrids for around $900. He's in Long Island, NY. Scott Russ Music. He's some what a pushy sales man, and I never actually been to his place. I've only talked to him over the phone, but he seems to have good prices.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I wouldn't send anyone to Scott Russ. OP, where are you located and what's your budget?

To answer your "which is pure junk" question...

Strunal Dvorak 50/1 3/4 $ 1000 The Strunal 50/4 bass I had was a decent, Czech-made plywood bass. Ugly but it made a lot of deep sound. Could be OK but setup is everything.

Stentnor Rockabilly Model: #ST1950L 3/4 OF $ 850 I'm told that Stentor sources instruments from wherever they can get them. Crapshoot. I have no personal experience with them.

Prima by Violmaster $ 600 Junk.

palatino 3/4 size upright bass - $600 Junk.

Karl Knilling 3/4 $ 1000 Could be anything from German to Romanian to Chinese depending on when it was made.

Engelhardt EM1 $ 850 Basically the same as a Kay bass, with the same problems and limitations. Can be a very good bass for roots music, but again, setup is everything.
  7. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

I would shy away from Strunals. The ply models seem to be made with a very poorly designed two-piece neck joint that has failed on many of their instruments. Given that a proper neck reset will cost more than the bass, it seems like a bad investment.