1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First Time EMG Electronics Questions...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    So, I'm close to making an electronics purchase for a five string parts bass I'll be putting together in the next few months. Sonic goals are "modern" and "aggressive" with a strong nod towards the "Spector" sound.

Lots of searching through TB has the following items in my shopping cart:

40P5X for the neck.

LJ Pickup for the bridge.

EMG BQC system for the preamp.

A few questions:

1) Both the pickups come with individual volume and tone controls. Is there any way to reduce the parts redundancies when ordering a three band EQ and pickup blend that the BQC contains, or do I just accept I'll have some extra hardware afterwards?

2) Will the 40P5X completely overpower the LJ? I'm planning on having the LJ mounted closer to the bridge to contribute to my preference for a mid forward sound, but realize that may also further reduce the output. Will the blend on the BQC preamp be a good fit or is there a better choice? I would potentially pair the 40P5X with an LJX model pickup but they only come in pairs and like the option of having a standard size soapbar shape for the neck instead of being limited to a P route.

3) On the aesthetic side of things: the LJ is 1/4 inch narrower in width than the 40P5X. Will that look displeasing to the eye or will an 1/8 of an inch on either side be unnoticeable? I'm set on single coil bridge tone.

This will be my first time using EMG stuff, so pardon my lack of experience with the brand. Just want to buy correctly the first time.;)

2. gpx1200

gpx1200

how about a 40twx in the bridge, same size as the 40p5x and can switch between single and humbucker, that's how i'm seting up my spector rebop5 with a 40p5x in the neck position
    if you want some spector tone I have a almost new tonepump preamp I took out of my 2012 eurolx4 i'd let go cheep, still all wired up for active emg's

3. grendle

grendle

Why not just a 40p and 40j. And a Spector tone pump pre. It still won't sound like a Spector but it will get ya close. ? Yes pickups put in the wrong size holes look half assed. Don't do that unless that's the look your going for.

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Yeah, need a 40P5 (X) for 5 string, 40P for 4 string.
    EMG also has a 40J (X) in same size soapbar, but you'll have to see if it's also for a 5'er.
    That'll match sizes.
    You can order BQC (with?) or stacked vol/vol pot, also.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Unrepresented

Media:
    I am not trying to build a direct Spector clone, but definitely want some of the growl, grind, and character. I see a number of Spector owners swapping out their Tone Pumps for EMG units. I've never used either, but I assume they're both capable units.

I am set on a "single coil" bridge pickup, and would have the route appropriate for that, it wouldn't be a jazz sized pickup swimming in a soapbar shaped route. I don't see any reason to go for a larger route than a standard jazz size pickup unless it would look really goofy to have mismatched pickup sizes or if having an X series J pickup will offer a noticeably better balance between pickups.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. The pickups come with what they come with and so does the BQC, so you will have some parts you won't be using.

2. It's mainly a function of reduced output at the bridge that causes it, and the closer you get, the less output you'll have.

3. I've seen wide and narrow pickups mixed before and it's not bad looking. Just picture a Lakland and reverse it in your mind ;)

8. Unrepresented

Media:
    Thanks Jimmy. Your postings on the EMG line have actually been influential in my decision, even if we seem to have different sonic goals.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, I get that not everyone's trying to make their bass sound like it was recorded in 1964 ;) but for some reason, EMG's work for me. Been using them since 84.

10. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Does Mighty Mite still make that Hazlab clone? Could also look into that.

11. Unrepresented

Media:
    According to my research they don't.

I can buy Tone Pumps second hand, and Spector does sell its 18V USA preamps, and rarely their 9V preamps new through the website, but they want double what EMG is asking, don't offer a mid frequency control, and the pots are fixed to the board, making it a more difficult candidate for non-Spector builds...