1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First time Mac help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ctbass, Nov 1, 2013.

1. ctbass

ctbass

Looking to "build" a home studio with some portability. Looking at using a motu ultralight interface with DP8. Now for the computer....

Is this what I want????

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    · 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
    · Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thanks
  2. bassdrop

bassdrop Supporting Member

New Macs will come with 10.9. Make sure the interface, multitrack software and plugins you want to use will be compatible.
  3. ctbass

ctbass

Thanks Bassdrop. Speed? Ram?
  4. rogersjoe

rogersjoe Sakara Bassist Supporting Member

I worked for apple back in the days of a real job. That is a great Mac. 2.7 (I am guessing dual core i5) is a good processor speed. 16 gigs of ram is more than enough. Other thing to consider is hard drive speed. 5400 rpm is not that good. 7200 rpm is good. And of course SSD or a "hybrid" drive would be excellent. And yes, new macs come with 10.9
    But that is a new OS and if the one you have comes wiht 10.8 you would be better off. Also if you do decide to upgrade to 10.9, it is free!
    Last but not least, make sure to get an external hard drive. You never want to record onto the same drive as your system drive. It can run into problems and even cause sessions not to record properly. Any questions feel free to DM me.