1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

First Time On Stage in 25 Years

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Strat Hater, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Well I met a couple of guys that In work with who have a Blues/Classic Rock band. So we were discussing getting together.

So the guitarist (a good friend of mine) put me to the ultimate test. He said we would get up there and do Mustang Sally, Roadhouse Blues and another 12 bar song I never heard of. While I was telling him I was reluctant because I never had a run through before hand, he was up and talking to the guy heading the jam. Then before I knew anything else he said we are up. I looked at him and smirked something. SO we started with the song I never heard of, it went pretty good, everyone clapped (more than I could say for the house band:meh:) Then we did Sally and people were really enjoying their selves, which made me relax.

I was then expecting Roadhouse when he said to me " Do ya know any blues riffs" So he started in on some blues improve and made me follow. I wanted to kill him for putting me on the spot, but it went really well. We got many compliments and were invited back.

Not bad for never even rehearsing this stuff before hand. He wanted to test me to see how I would hold up under pressure, and I even surprised myself. Still I was pissed because I never got to do Roadhouse Blues. Not because I like the song, but because I was expecting it.

All and all an enjoyable evening and I will be back up there again:hyper:

2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Being up on stage in front of people is the best feeling whether you can play well or not ... Rock on...

3. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Yes it is a HIGH that I forgot about. I love it!!

4. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Congrats. The next time around it will not be such a thrill, but if you have more material and know how to play it, a longer gig will stay in your memory as an uplifting experience just as well. :bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kjpollo

kjpollo

AWESOME Dude!! Congrats!

I just had my first gig ever 2 weeks ago and it was also a triumph for the band and me! Our female signer got us a spur-of-the-moment short gig so we could try our stuff out in public. (we only did 2 sets because we only had 22 songs ready at the time)
    We tore the place up and got invited back again next month for a paying gig!!!

I know I'll never forget MY first live gig and it sure sounds like you wont either!

7. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

Good on ya, Strat Hater! Get up there and lay it down.

I did two gigs late last year after having been out of it for about fifteen years.