1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First Time Out w/DHA Dirt

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LongHairFreak, Feb 2, 2013.

1. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold Gold Supporting Member

Just got back from doing a show using my DHA VT2-Twin-Bass for the first time in a band/live setting. It was just as cool as I expected it would be.

Now comes the difficult part though. How do I decide when to use my DHA VT2-Twin and when to use my Swell B-Peg?
  2. sprag

sprag

Bass >VT2 always on >B-Peg always on:bassist:
  3. LongHairFreak

Hmm. That might be a bit much for the blues we play. Given that though, I'm looking forward to running them both simultaneously when we next get together.
  4. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    That's some serious pedalage. For real.

I got to play my Swell B-Peg after my Swell B-Max and it was so nice. Not too much gain. Just a lot of tube bedazzle. Wish I could afford both. Not enough real estate on my board, either.
  5. LongHairFreak

Footprint size is certainly an issue. I really should learn to get "minis" if at all possible, but considering my two favorites are my two largest, how likely is that to happen?
  6. duderus

duderus

Just ordered the vt twin bass. What type of tube were shipped with it? Have u tried other tubes? Do you think if u put two different ones in in certain spots ud get different tones?

Thanks
  7. LongHairFreak

I've not ever had someone read the name(s) of the tubes in my VT2/Twin, but I'm quite certain Dave ships out with EC88s.

I've thought about putting a lesser gain in one side, but as yet have not.

8. duderus

duderus

I got mine yesterday. Great crunch. You say you play a lot of blues, what do all your settings look like?
  9. LongHairFreak

Well, shoot nman. You caught me at a bad time; I'm experimenting again. Right now though...

IP Level floats between 10am & 11am.
    Blue Gain 4pm
    Blue & red Levels Cranked all the way. (usually)
    Red Gain 1pm-1:30pm
    Red OD 4pm

I opted to have the Color taken out; I didn't dig it. I still have both Blue & Red Boosts, but I rarely use them either.

Have fun w/it!
  10. duderus

duderus

I find that it makes noise (a light his almost all the time. Do u have the same problem? I did I need my treble all the way down to get rid of it along with my tweeters.

Any suggestions?
  11. LongHairFreak

(sigh) Yeah, well... It could never be considered a quiet unit. As far as what to do about that??? I don't use tweeters and I cut off as much as I can above 6kHz or so. It's still not quiet, but there's no hissing highs.

I was told the noise could be from the ps I use, but it's the one I rcv'd from DHA; also, no matter which ps I've used, the noise hadn't changed much. Although I have only tried a few.

Sorry I can't be much help here, but I believe the general consensus is that gain through tubes adds noise.
  12. duderus

duderus

What do you use to minimize the noise? I turn treble down a lot and my tweeter off? Trying to get a few more ideas.
  13. LongHairFreak

A good quality LP filter would cut those highs, or you could always try a parametric eq.
  14. duderus

duderus

LP?
  15. sprag

sprag

Low pass
  16. LongHairFreak

Yep. A low Pass filter; a nice brick wall to cut off the highs. That still won't rid all the noise though; just that part which is cut off.