First time to re string my Ibanez sr500 wondering what I should use for strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hawk92, Feb 23, 2014.

1. hawk92

hawk92

I played a steinberger with double ball end strings for years I have picked up a Ibanez sr500 which I believe still has the original stock strings think they are elixir's wondering what kind of input I can get here on strings I play a lot of blues, classic rock, a little of everything else only thump occasionally, I did like the sound of the elixar's but not sure if that is the way I want to go. Any input appreciated thanx
  2. d_alexthegreat

d_alexthegreat

I personally like the elixirs, and plain old d'addarios are decent as well. Whatever you chose, do NOT get Ernie ball slinky cobalt a or painted dr strings.
  3. larrygs

larrygs Supporting Member

I use GHS Boomers medium light on my SR505, I like then more than D'Addario.
    I have never tried the Elixir ones, can't comment on those.
  4. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I love Boomers, but D'Addarios are what I mostly use on my old (Non -Ibanez) bass--but it's short scale and usually that's what I can find--so unless I start buying bass trings online-it would probably be D'Addario's
    On my SR500F I have the original Elixirs, but it was in the box unopened and the strings new.
    I'm not sure how I feel about them yet, but I am planning on trying some different strings as well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hawk92

hawk92

Thanks for the input people, I do like the tone and the way they feel but the coating seems to be peeling off kinda weird didn't know what it was at first until I looked up there strings and read about it.
  7. Toptube

Toptube

I like hex core strings with a smaller core to wrap ratio. They are more flexible, but you don't lose the hex core punch. I think most of Dean Markley brand strings are made this way.

Labella has the RX series and DAddario just released the Flex Steels.