1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

First time to re string my Ibanez sr500 wondering what I should use for strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hawk92, Feb 23, 2014.

1. hawk92

hawk92

I played a steinberger with double ball end strings for years I have picked up a Ibanez sr500 which I believe still has the original stock strings think they are elixir's wondering what kind of input I can get here on strings I play a lot of blues, classic rock, a little of everything else only thump occasionally, I did like the sound of the elixar's but not sure if that is the way I want to go. Any input appreciated thanx
  2. d_alexthegreat

d_alexthegreat

I personally like the elixirs, and plain old d'addarios are decent as well. Whatever you chose, do NOT get Ernie ball slinky cobalt a or painted dr strings.
  3. larrygs

larrygs Supporting Member

I use GHS Boomers medium light on my SR505, I like then more than D'Addario.
    I have never tried the Elixir ones, can't comment on those.
  4. zontar

zontar

I love Boomers, but D'Addarios are what I mostly use on my old (Non -Ibanez) bass--but it's short scale and usually that's what I can find--so unless I start buying bass trings online-it would probably be D'Addario's
    On my SR500F I have the original Elixirs, but it was in the box unopened and the strings new.
    I'm not sure how I feel about them yet, but I am planning on trying some different strings as well.
  5. hawk92

hawk92

Thanks for the input people, I do like the tone and the way they feel but the coating seems to be peeling off kinda weird didn't know what it was at first until I looked up there strings and read about it.
  6. Toptube

Toptube

I like hex core strings with a smaller core to wrap ratio. They are more flexible, but you don't lose the hex core punch. I think most of Dean Markley brand strings are made this way.

Labella has the RX series and DAddario just released the Flex Steels.