Firsts for you in 2013? 2014 Goals?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Runnerman, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Have you done anything new in 2013? Maybe crossed something off your bucket list or did something significant for the first time? Or maybe a certain event happened (good or bad) that is worthy of note.

What about the year ahead? What is something you would like to accomplish or see happen in your personal life in 2014?
  2. Runnerman

I'll go first....

I took up hunting in 2013 and got my first deer. Pretty excited about this one.

I lost my dad on New Years eve.

For 2014...

I would like to travel to South America or Austrailia....two continents I have not been to.
  3. bmc

bmc

LMAO

2013 had a major first. Got diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. During the year, multiple surgeries and chemo resulted in +90% being removed. Ask me if I'm rocking.

Got my first ever sports car at age 55.

One of the best years of my life. And I mean it. Opened my eyes to life, living, importance of family and friends. It's been a gift.

2014 is a clean up operation to get rid of the rest. Ask me if I'm rockin it. I am walking away from this. Let the bells ring.

Will be traveling back to Canada next month to see family for the first time in over a year. Ottawa in January...brrrrrrr.

I have never had a bucket list. I've done what I've wanted to do at the time. No regrets. It's been a fantastic life.
  4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

I'll be getting my driver's license next year.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'm gonna quit smoking. I've tried it before. The longest I've gone is a few months, but I'm committed this time. I'm on the wrong side of 30. Enough is enough.

Oh, and a first for me in 2013 was playing in an actual band rather than alone on my couch. It's great.
  7. Runnerman

Awesome man.
  8. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Big thing for me in 2013 was visiting the US for the first time. I also got my first custom bass, a new electric guitar and my first mandolin.

2014? No plans to change my gear setup (but who knows when that will change). I will change my job - that's not a plan, I'm working my notice out at the moment.
  9. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

2013- first long term girlfriend,
    accepted into the college of my choosing (NC State),
    all the senior year perks and stuff,
    won 1st place WGI Open Class Winter Percussion last march in Dayton, Ohio (in case anyone is interested, http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/05/2866772/clayton-high-percussionists-win.html),
    and really started getting into TB :D

2014- hope to keep the girlfriend while im away at college (really looking forward to moving away from my po-dunk town), and our winter percussion group is going back to Dayton again, so im really hoping we don't suck too bad come march. Oh, and i hope my clunker car holds up a little while longer

here's a pretty good shot of me at the WGI event :)

Attached Files:

10. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

2013 was a year of firsts for me. Some were good; some not so good.

Firsts:
    * Trip to England.
    * Lost a parent (and then I lost them both within 6 months, in addition to four other people who were important in my life).
    * Displacement from a long-term job.
    * Lived in Georgia (Atlanta, y'all).
    * Tried Fantasy Football.
    * Attended an NFL game.
    * Hosted a house concert.
    * Fronted a major national act (only for about three minutes, but I'm counting it!).
    * Learned that no matter how much you believe you appreciate what you have, somewhere deep inside, you learn that there's more to give.

In 2014, it can only get better, but other than choosing one new thing to learn this year (haven't decided what, yet) and continuing on my journey to be more healthy, I'm not going to totally plan it out. I'm trying to work on my spontaneity.
  11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

My 2013 was fairly mundane, lots of work and not much in the way of big things (positive or negative). Started a new job at a new university, so that was a positive.

2014:
    Hopefully finish my thesis and have that last graduation.
    A holiday somewhere would be nice.
    Fattening up the bank account (well, recovering from student life).
    Trimming down the waistline (recovering from postdoc life).
    Get back to playing bass more frequently.
  12. bmc

bmc

2014 will be our year. 2013 sucked canal water for us both. Remember, the pendulum swings both ways.
  13. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    2013 was a tremendous year of change and growth for me.
    New job that I just started on Dec 2. I wasn't out of a job for any length of time, so the change was entirely my choice. I left a somewhat toxic environment, and my new job is great for personal and professional growth.
    Prior to that, I got married this year. We were already living together and own our house, so no changes in those areas, but a big step regardless for me.
    One of my main bands has a significant following now and is nearly selling out a good amount of our shows, which was a big improvement for us this year.
    My wife's art business is getting off of the ground as well - she is getting work published in the next couple of months.

2014 goals I haven't established fully as of yet. I have recently started upright bass lessons, so I have two goals around that; to play publically or record a classical piece of music... with a stretch goal of performing with one of the local community orchestras.
  14. pedroims

pedroims

* I lost 12 pounds :)
    * I paid all my credit cards.
    * I refinanced my morgage to 15 years including a monthly payment reduction of $20 USD.
    * I started coaching my son soccer's team.
    * I started roasting coffee.
    * My four daughter born in August.
    * I played golf with my dad everyday during the 6 weeks that he was in the USA.

2014?

* Get my green card.
    * Visit my family in Mexico.
    * Some trips to Europe but hopefully not too many, 3-4 will be enough for me.
    * Get my coaching National "E" license.
  15. lwknives

lwknives

2013:
    My grandad died. Losing a relative is so much harder than I ever imagined!
    I met my girl friend (who is the most amazing, beautiful person I have ever met)!
    Payed my last tuition bill!

2014:
    Hope to graduate with a BS in Mechanical Engineering.
    Hope to get a job as an Engineer.
    Live in my own place with no financial support from family.
    Possibly asking my girl to spend the rest of her life with me!
  16. PAC

PAC

2013 Meh......

2014 My goal is too not have any of my threads locked.
    Also not to get any demerits (points)
    I know these are lofty goals but I'm up for it.

Paul

:rolleyes:
  17. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Yes, it does. Here's to a wonderful 2014...for everyone!
  18. bassinplace

bassinplace

Got my first motorcycle and I love it just about as much as playing bass! :D Goals for '14, become a better rider, maybe do some longer rides out of state. Become a better bass player and musician. I might even take up keys, which is a long term goal, I've still got a lot to learn on bass. :bassist:
  19. kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01

Took a big leap in August of 2013…
    [​IMG]

Mr and Mrs kissmybass01! :hyper:
    (also pictured is my mistress Jessica)
  20. Cmymud

Cmymud

Started playing Bass, first performances was Feb
  21. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I've come to the realization that I'm going nowhere in my present job. So after 25 years I'm looking for a job.

I actually have some promising prospects.

Come on February!