1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fishman stopped working. Troubleshooting tips?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by DILYSI Dave, Jul 29, 2013.

1. DILYSI Dave

DILYSI Dave

Worked one day. Didn't work the next. I get nothing from it. Do they just die?
  2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Fishman what? Full Circle? BP-100? Preamp?
  3. DILYSI Dave

DILYSI Dave

Sorry - BP100
  4. Mark Gollihur

Disclosures:
    No worries!

A complete failure is pretty rare, and usually fairly easy to diagnose. Unless the pickup suffered a sudden stress that affected both elements - like having the jack yanked off the bass, pulling the pickup elements off the bridge with some force (and damaging the delicate wires to them in the process), I'd think it would be rare for both transducers to "fail" at the same time.

If you had a working pickup, and now you've got bupkus, I'd bet on a break in the pickup's cable, or a short or failed solder joint in the jack.

In fact, first thing I'd check is your 1/4" cable. Try a different cable, see if you get better results.

If you rule out your signal cable, open up the output jack for the pickup and see if you can find a failure there - broken solder joint, a short of the ground wire to the signal wire, etc. The jack itself could be broken, too - but it's probably sealed to the point where you won't be able to confirm that.
  5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Excellent advice from Mark. You can try the "wiggle" test on the cable as well. That is, with it connected, wiggle the cable at various points (especially at connection points) and see if you get anything from it intermittently. This often works as a quick way to find the offending connection.
  6. DILYSI Dave

DILYSI Dave

Weird. Unpacked the gear, plugged it all up so I could find the culprit, and it worked fine. Tried shaking stuff to make it NOT work, and couldn't make it fail. :meh:
  7. Mark Gollihur

Disclosures:
    Sounds like what Bob G. (my Dad) has always called a "TZO" - a "Twilight Zone Occurrence."

;)
  8. DILYSI Dave

DILYSI Dave