1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fitting a bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ripper911, Dec 5, 2012.

1. ripper911

ripper911

A while back I cracked my bridge close to one of the wings, I glued it and all seems well. I have received a new bridge in the mail, I was planning on having a luthier fit it, but my recent unemployment has changed that. I'll be doing this myself, I'd appreciate some tips.

When I fit violin bridges I use a dremel tool to sand the top into the right shape then place a bit of sandpaper on the top of the violin and use that to sand the feet to the right shape. Thinking about the DB bridge I think it would be harder to get the width even on the upper section with a dremel. I'm thinking about wrapping sandpaper around a wooden block to give a good flat edge to keep things straight. But what about the feet? I know it would take much longer to sand the thick feet of the DB bridge than on a violin, should I just do it the same way as on a violin?
    Any tips will be appreciated.
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It can be done that way. I got impatient (and a little drunk) and used a belt sander to trim the feet. Don't do that. I violated my #1 rule, which is that power tools just help you screw up faster, and the bridge feet show it.

If your original bridge is in decent shape other than the crack, I'd use it as a template. Mark the new bridge with a pencil on all sides, showing you where it will have to be cut.

Mind the bridge angle when fitting the feet. When the crown is cut down where you want it and you have the string notches cut, it's OK to use a belt sander to thin the crown to 1/8" or a little thicker.

Hopefully, while you're sharpening your tools a few of the professionals will chime in.
  3. Schoolhouse

Schoolhouse Thomas Andres- Bass Makers

Fitting a bridge well can easily be a half day project or more. We first cut it on the bandsaw after determining left/right/centering positions. Fit the feet first using edge tools, only then use paper if you prefer. Install adjusters, if used, at this point. Cut the top and position the strings. Thin the bridge as needed, edge tools are fast allow more subtleties than a belt sander. Refine as desired.
  4. ripper911

ripper911

Of course I had to get a cheap chinese bridge for the CCB!
    [​IMG]
  5. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

A cello bridge? Gonna be a bit small...
  6. ripper911

ripper911

The package says cello bridge. I'm not sure about having that high of action on the cello though, I'll use it on the bass. :)
    [​IMG]
  7. skychief

skychief Supporting Member

When fitting a new bridge on my DB a while back, this was the method i used to form the feet (120-grit sandpaper on top). Took over an hour! But If you're not in a hurry, i would suugest you stick to this method since you're familiar with it (violins). It will just take longer with a bass bridge. imo.
  8. bssist

bssist

I tried the sandpaper on my first attempt. It was nowhere close. Make a spreader and scrapers (or use a large razor knife as a scraper). You'll get FAR better results.
  9. dj5

dj5

Being pretty handy with the tools, I thought it wouldn't be too tricky a job.
    I think it took me over ten hours, what with all the putting back on, taking it off again, etc!
    And getting those feet just right was ridiculous. Managed it in the end though, and perhaps I learned something - I'm not as handy with the tools as I thought I was!