1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fitting strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GODSBASSMAN, Feb 7, 2013.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

What is best way to insure strings are not too long? I have has strings especially at the B or E break because the top taper is not long enough to prevent the main part of the string to coil around the tuning post and snap the core. Then the string just unravels.
    Ugh.
    How do I prevent this when buying string sets?
    I do know the scale lengths and my basses are 34 or 35"
  2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Disclosures:
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I use a method I once read in an old BP magazine - after you run the string through the bridge and across the neck, measure about four inches past the tuning post. Bend the string at a right angle so that the windings don't unravel, and then cut it off.

That method has never caused me any problems, but you'll probably hear lots of varying opinions. There is no one "correct" method to fit strings properly.
  3. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

Measure from the nut to the twelfth fret and double it. That's your scale length.
  4. FourBanger

FourBanger

I've found a lot of stores will stock Long+ strings that can accommodate 34" and 35" and longer scales instead of plain old Long scale which might be a better fit for your bass.

Might not be the whole story but it never hurts to check.
  5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't understand the description of the problem. There are many discussions of proper string installation. (Hint: SEARCH.)

Bottom line for me: you should leave enough string to have 3-4 wraps around the tuning peg. More isn't needed.

As described above, I run each string through the bridge, lay it out on the bass, then cut each string about 4 finger-widths past the tuner it will be installed on. Bend the string end 90 degrees and stick that bent section in the center hole of the tuner post. This secures the string and prevents it slipping on the tuner.

Wrap the string from the top down, using the first wrap around the tuner post to lock the string in place. Wind downwards to get a better break angle over the nut.

If a string breaks after that, it's either a bad string or something damaged it.
  6. FourBanger

FourBanger

I read it as not a trimming before winding issue but as the taper on the thick strings runs all the way onto the post, causing the string to come apart for him.
  7. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

I think what OP is saying is that the full thickness of the string goes too far past the nut and winds on the peg causing it to break. I remember when I used DR's this would be an occasional problem.

What kind of strings are you using?
  8. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Yes. This.
  9. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Yes, this. Has happened 2 or 3 times. Last time Labella tapewound on the E,
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

11. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

35.5" is just past the nut with 37" right at the tuner post. Does this mean all I should put on this bass be TI strings? They are the only one on that list that matches 35.5".
    Thanks for that list btw, mmbongo.
  12. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

There are a lot of brands on that list that would work.
  13. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

You're welcome!

Your 35.5" is just the minimum you need. Anything between that and a hair over 37" would be ideal.
  14. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

ok. Great info here. Thanks.!!! :O)
  15. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Labella has extra long scale tapes = 38" as opposed to long scale = "37. I believe an old extra long E is what broke. The 37" has been strung and works just fine. Thanks for the help y'all.