1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fixed TC Electronic BC Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by xbud, Feb 25, 2014.

1. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

So I found myself constantly looking at other cabinets, I found the BC410, and BC210 cabinets as O.K., but not an overwhelming good sound at loud volumes. So I took the cabinets apart to inspect the drivers and this is what I found,
    [​IMG]

They didnt lie in the advertising of these cabinets, they are custom Eminence drivers.
    [​IMG]

Just really low quality offshore Eminence drivers. I was curious of the specs on the drivers so I e-mailed Eminence and they emailed the specs below.

Re 14.62 Ohms fs 58.7 Hz
    Le 1.06 mH Mms 21.5 grams
    QM 2.76 Mmd 17.7 grams
    QE 0.81 Cms 0.341 mm/N
    QT 0.62 Rms 2.877 N*sec/m
    Xmax 3.30 mm Vas 61.2 liters
    Pmax 75 Watts SD 355.4 cm^2
    Bl 12.01 Tm VD 117.4 cm^3
    Coil Diameter 1.50 Inches EBP 72.9
    Gap Height 0.24 Inches Magnet Weight 20 ounces
    Efficiency 1.49 % Winding Width 0.500 inches
    SPL 93.7 dB 1W-1m

On the plus side the cabinet itself is made of descent quality, with some bracing between the center supports.
    [​IMG]

Comparison between the original drivers and th 4 Ohm MCM replacements I am going to use.

[​IMG]

Picture of all the drivers replaced, rewired the cabinet in series/parallel.

[​IMG]

Redid the 2X10 cabinet as well, below is a stacked picture of both.

[​IMG]

I havent had a chance to really crank these up, but so far a quick low volume test tells me this has made a significant impact on the bass authority and clarity. These have a great midrange as well, by far better than the stock drivers TC Electronics loaded these cabinets with.
  2. ProdigalBassman

ProdigalBassman

Xbud,

Thanks for the info on the TC Electronic BC410. I've been looking at that cab also bcs it's one of the few 4 ohm 410 cabs that I could afford and handles 500W. My question: Why did you change the drivers? Did the cab, as it comes, sound poor? Low volume?

If so, did you consider buying an empty 410 cab and placing the drivers, horn, crossover etc yourself?

Joe